Plant Problems after dirting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sandbox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I cant really find much on this but it's been a week after ive dirted my tank and have had alittle problem with discoloration of leaves and my elodia seemed to get very dark and week and just fell apart its not effecting my swords or anything just wondering if it had to do with shock of the amount of water changes ive been doing to clean up the water or what, all my phosphate,ph,hardness,nitrate and nitrite levels are perfectly fine any help is appreciated.

Thanks Joe,

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130426_151343.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130426_151343.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20130426_151408.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130426_151408.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 53
What exactly are your nitrate and phosphate readings? Also what type light and bulbs are you using? Are you using any liquid carbon or CO2? And most importantly what types of fertilizers are you using?

shouldnt need any ferts or co2 for a few months after using dirt Sandbox, but light, yes thats important also some plants melt and come back the important thing is not to move them around and give it some time you SHOULD see them come back !

i thought id lost one totally melted to much but now is coming back so strong ill be trimming and replanting soon. your doing the water changes you said, which is awesome, the dirt gives off a lot of nutrients and planting heavily is often something people miss, they plant sparsley, hard to tell from your tank which way you went?

but seems like you should have enough, you said swords are fine. So yeah give it some time, id be super interested to know what light you have.....also what was the other plant that melted?

Last edited:
I Have been using seachem flourish for ferts and have been injecting CO2 so that could possibly it and I have 2 23w cfl bulbs on its a 38g im not exactly sure of the name of it but it seems to be some kind of sword but my amazon is fine

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130426_165917.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130426_165917.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 70
Using CO2 and ferts is a positive for plants. My 220g is dirted and I began using ferts by week two. When you have adequate light and CO2 your plants grow faster and need/use more ferts. If your only using a liquid fert it's probably not adding enough nutrients to the tank. What size tank do you have and what type of plants.

What kind of dirt is this?
You have to remember that dirt is mainly NPK levels for outdoor plants, there is a chance that there is a lot of N getting into the water. I hear high N levels can completely burn up the plants.

From what you wrote it sounds like you had the plants before dirting the tank and they did pretty well. That's all I can think of for now until you post more info.

Back
Top Bottom