Plant Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok justba few questions I will list.
1: Can you have the light on 2 long? LFS says that stem plants will die with the light on too long. I think they said 6 hours! I use like 12 hours sometimes lol
2: I have a plant that looks like moneywort with a redish pinkish top. Any suggestions on keeping in in sand? (sorry I dont know the name)
3: Can amazon swords grow in low light setups?
Thanks in advance and God bless!

1) Longer photoperiods lead to algae issues, as plants have a limit to how much light they can utilize before they need to process is (via the Dark Cycle). I have never heard of plant fatality from too long of a photoperiod.

2) Hard to say without knowing what the species is (best guess would be Ludwigia repens or a red bacopa sp such as bacopa colorata), but generally speaking for most stem plants, they do not need substrate fertilization but will benefit from it.

3) Depends on how you define "low light". Swords can do ok in low-medium conditions, but not in the kind of conditions that crypts, ferns, or anubias could survive in.

1) Longer photoperiods lead to algae issues, as plants have a limit to how much light they can utilize before they need to process is (via the Dark Cycle). I have never heard of plant fatality from too long of a photoperiod.

2) Hard to say without knowing what the species is (best guess would be Ludwigia repens or a red bacopa sp such as bacopa colorata), but generally speaking for most stem plants, they do not need substrate fertilization but will benefit from it.

3) Depends on how you define "low light". Swords can do ok in low-medium conditions, but not in the kind of conditions that crypts, ferns, or anubias could survive in.
1) Ok thanks. I have a very irregular photoperiod on the tank because of my work schedule. I am starting to get algae but I think that is just a need to scrub :)
2) I think it is the red bacopa. I might try to DIY some root tabs.
3) It is a 56 column tank with 2 regular t8s. They are pink though. One is 8000K I know.
Thanks for the answers!

Back
Top Bottom