Plant Recommendations for a 55 Gallon FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
McLumpy said:
Nah, I'm not mad... was just puttin' on my game face for ya. ;) The Chiefs suck too. Cassel showed potential, then *boom*, it was gone. Ok, now, stop getting off topic, I'm trying to figure out this lighting stuff. :p

True dat (@ OT fodder). I've been using the basic 17W Zoo Med ultra sun (6500K) for less than a week and my plants are doing better than when I had 2 lamps with the 1 watt/gal rule (cheapo kit bulbs).

From what I've found so far, unless you're ready to co2 and fert, less is more. But that's just my experience and there are experts here that know a lot more than me.

Once I get my 36W kit converted and installed, I'll start a thread on it.

Good luck!

Sent from my Epic 4G

Understandable, and I'm pretty much in the same boat. I actually just upgraded the lighting on my 26gal Bowfront (fairly tall tank) - but I went the LED route because I had some extra tax return burning a hole in my pocket and liked the energy savings.

Here's the unit I bought:

Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting System

I got the 18-24" version, and on a tank that's 21" left-to-right it lights it up enough to grow Java Moss, Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Anacharis, Ludwigia Repens, and (another plant I haven't been able to identify but it was in a Petco "variety" tank and seems to be actually aquatic)

I've been trying to find an accurate conversion of "LED Watts" to "Plant Watts" because the LEDs only consume 6W total, but I haven't found an accurate explanation.

Ok, now I'm curious about this LED light that you mentioned in your post. It looks like the plants you have are low-light, so I take it you don't utilize Co2?

The reason I ask is because I can't bring myself to purchase that cheap light fixture that Big Al's has on sale just to avoid using Co2. If your plants are doing well with this lighting on your tall tank, I would think that it would do fine on my 55g long.

The 36"-48" model that I would get has a total of 1200 Lumens. I take it this would be more than enough to help stimulate growth in the low-light plants in my tank. Compared to the T5 fixture designs, I think this LED fixture would better match my tank setup too. I also like that it has a 3-mode on/off switch.

Edit: The model I'm looking at appears to have 800 Lumens of White Daylight and 400 Lumens of Blue Lunar. ***Deleted conversion... it was wrong.*** LOL

I Think I Found What I Was Looking For...

I was doing more research about the LED only light fixtures and I read that some people had luck w/ their low-tech setup and some didn't...

So...
Once again, I searched, and searches, *sigh*, and searched for the perfect light and I think I just found it... SolarMaxHO2 Double T5 HO Strip w/ LED Light

This will give me "best-of-both-worlds", (tube lights & LED moonlights)! Plus, the price is great! It's a little more than what I had planned on spending though, so my plant purchases may be delayed for a few weeks. I might be able to pick-up a few plants, but not as many as I wanted. :(

Any thoughts on this fixture? I'm hoping to place an order for it soon.

As always, TIA, guys! I truly appreciate all the advice! :D

Looks like a great deal. As always, look for reviews on it and the vendor just to make sure it's the deal you're looking for.

Sent from my Epic 4G

There were limited reviews about them online. However, I came across a few forum posts where people stated that the ballast and light distribution was way better than the Coralife models.

One post did catch my attention; the poster had a 55g setup like what I'm trying to achieve, (low-tech, no C02), and he was considering the SolarMaxHE2 Double T5 HE Strip w/ LED Light version, but went w/ the Coralife T5NO instead.

Now I'm wondering if I should go w/ the HE instead of the HO.

The HE includes:
(1) 24w 10,000K Daylight Lamp
(1) 24w Actinic-03 Lamp
(8) Blue Moonlight LEDs

The HO includes:
(1) 54w 10,000K Daylight Lamp
(1) 54w Actinic-03 Lamp
(8) Blue Moonlight LEDs

Any thoughts?

Vircomore said:
Not sure if someone has answered your Actinic question yet, but here it is:

Aquatic plants can't "use" or "see" Actinic light. It's outside of the spectrum that they can use to do photosynthesis.

So, if you have a 27W Daylight and a 27W Actinic:

* Your human eyes will see 54W of light.
* The Plants will only have 27W of light to grow on.

If you replaced the Actinic with another daylight, you'll get a more "sunlighty" look and you plants will get the full 54W but their growth may be hindered by CO2 levels.

Co2 is not necessary to grow plants, but there is a certain point where no amount of additional light will grow plants any faster without adding CO2.

I think this posting is a good gauge for what you want to do.

McLumpy said:
There were limited reviews about them online. However, I came across a few forum posts where people stated that the ballast and light distribution was way better than the Coralife models.

One post did catch my attention; the poster had a 55g setup like what I'm trying to achieve, (low-tech, no C02), and he was considering the SolarMaxHE2 Double T5 HE Strip w/ LED Light version, but went w/ the Coralife T5NO instead.

Now I'm wondering if I should go w/ the HE instead of the HO.

The HE includes:
(1) 24w 10,000K Daylight Lamp
(1) 24w Actinic-03 Lamp
(8) Blue Moonlight LEDs

The HO includes:
(1) 54w 10,000K Daylight Lamp
(1) 54w Actinic-03 Lamp
(8) Blue Moonlight LEDs

Any thoughts?

I'm still learning about lights too so wait for someone more experienced to respond, but here's my thoughts anyway.

Plants only use so much of the light spectrum and it's my understanding that 10K is beyond that limit and that 6700K is the best range (hopefully someone will confirm/correct this)

The Actinic won't help the plants, but will brighten up your tank as Vircomore wrote. For me that would be a big plus.

The moonlight LED's won't do anything besides allow you to see your tank after lights out (again, confirm/correct please), but this too would be a big plus.

So from what you've listed, it sounds like the HO unit would get you at (close to) the 1w per gallon rule and not require the co2 you want to avoid and have a bright tank to admire. Check the 10K vs. 6700K question and if need be, see if you can get them to swap the 10K out.

I know, now you're more confused than ever. lol... me too :p

Following/learning/asking questions, it's all good though.

Sent from my Epic 4G

^ That's what I considered when I was thinking about the HO fixture, (the total watts being used by the plants would be 54). But then this other guy went w/ the 2x24w fixture for his 55g low-tech, so it made me question why he would do that rather than go w/ the 2x54w?

I was wondering about the 10K. I'm sure I could find a 6700 replacement bulb, so that's no problem.

Me? Confused? Nah. ;) I'm understanding all of this lighting stuff now... thanks to you guys! :D I'm more or less just trying to get my ducks-in-a-row before I purchase anything.

Edit: QUACK!! :p

BUY! BUY! BUY! hehehe

Keep us updated please

Sent from my Epic 4G

LOL I was hoping to order it by Friday, so it will come in next week. However, I'm waiting for my paycheck to clear and see what bills I need to pay first. Necessities before luxuries, and all that jazz. :( I'll keep everyone posted. :D

Now I'm second guessing too and decided to change my order from the 36w, to the 55w kit. The worse part is I set my ship date back by 2 days... :eek: AHHHH!!

Sent from my Epic 4G

Now I'm second guessing too and decided to change my order from the 36w, to the 55w kit. The worse part is I set my ship date back by 2 days... :eek: AHHHH!!

Sent from my Epic 4G

Wait, you contacted them and changed your order? That was the DIY fixture, right?

McLumpy said:
Wait, you contacted them and changed your order? That was the DIY fixture, right?

Yes, I'm a big DIY'er and like that I can use one of my old hoods for a cleaner look. CF are the newer wave for me anyways (LED's still too spendy).

Sent from my Epic 4G

Back
Top Bottom