Plant Roots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseynewton

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an unnamed plant. Or should I say an unknown named plant that appears to be growing roots at the top of the stem. Should I cut off and replant roots in sand? Should I leave this alone? Is it safe to replant?

Any advice or information on why the plant is growing roots from to of stem?

Thanks,

Casey

Attachments

• image-4097971446.jpg
    image-4097971446.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 87
I'm no expert, but it looks to me like you could cut the top bit off and replant. I don't know the terminology, but a lot of plants propagate that way. (like a spider plant)

Lots of stem plants grow roots out of the stem like that. You can trim them off if you wish. As chelle said, you can also propagate it by cutting the stem and replanting.

You could also wait until it's detaches itself. It might give it more time to build up a bigger root system and a bigger fighting chance of survival

It won't detach itself in a normal sized aquarium. It will just continue to grow.

That looks like a runner stem off of a sword plant. They grow out off of a mother sword and have plantlets that grow along them. You can cut them anywhere you want as long as each portion has root structure.

Works for me. I'll start there and read more about them. I'll be patient and let them continue to grow. Then replant them in future. I have two plants. One has a center stem the other just plant. Thanks everyone for input!

Back
Top Bottom