Plant safe meds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Was checking out the plants when I noticed the fish. All alive and doing well but I did wonder on what meds and perhaps duration, that people find safe with plants out of interest? I don't need to treat anything and do have a hospital tank. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following with great interest.
[emoji271] [emoji263] [emoji264] [emoji256]

Heat, salt, garlic, quarantine as you know... I'll try n come up with a few more good ones

I've used Melafix with plants and it didn't seem to have any effect. [emoji106]

Many thanks for the interest. I appreciate the comment on the garlic, it's an interesting one and wanted some different ideas I would normally never think of. I'm thinking I might be able to run some tests as well in a spare tank once the Java Fern plantlets get a decent size (got no room for them).

I haven't taken very good notes previously so just some thoughts (just thinking on which were ok with plants).

Anyways my tap water is a little salty which doesn't help but I have tried one teaspoon(?) of salt per 5 gallons on some plants (name escapes me). These didn't like it but I know of one member dosing I think this level with no issues so will try a test again. I have wondered if more established plants with roots would handle / process salt better.

Pimafix and melafix I cannot recall any issues with. Have used that quite a bit.

The dyes and acriflavin I think caused issues after several days of treatment (again I wish I had recorded this better and my tank water / conditions as I assume that may be a factor).

Furan-2 - on extended treatment - wiped out just about all plants. Maybe unlucky but not planning to try that again, hospital tank only :)

Triple-sulpha - can't recall any issues. Maybe plants didn't like it but recovered. Maybe??

Tetracycline, kanaplax, metro, prazi and potassium permanganate - can't recall testing (all hospital tanks). Got some pp made up (not sure if gone off) - could try testing that. Romet (sulfadimethoxine with ormetoprim) no issues but was medicated feed.

Many thanks for the interest. I appreciate the comment on the garlic, it's an interesting one and wanted some different ideas I would normally never think of. I'm thinking I might be able to run some tests as well in a spare tank once the Java Fern plantlets get a decent size (got no room for them).

I haven't taken very good notes previously so just some thoughts (just thinking on which were ok with plants).

Anyways my tap water is a little salty which doesn't help but I have tried one teaspoon(?) of salt per 5 gallons on some plants (name escapes me). These didn't like it but I know of one member dosing I think this level with no issues so will try a test again. I have wondered if more established plants with roots would handle / process salt better.

Pimafix and melafix I cannot recall any issues with. Have used that quite a bit.

The dyes and acriflavin I think caused issues after several days of treatment (again I wish I had recorded this better and my tank water / conditions as I assume that may be a factor).

Furan-2 - on extended treatment - wiped out just about all plants. Maybe unlucky but not planning to try that again, hospital tank only :)

Triple-sulpha - can't recall any issues. Maybe plants didn't like it but recovered. Maybe??

Tetracycline, kanaplax, metro, prazi and potassium permanganate - can't recall testing (all hospital tanks). Got some pp made up (not sure if gone off) - could try testing that. Romet (sulfadimethoxine with ormetoprim) no issues but was medicated feed.

Great info dela! It's always good to know what works and what doesn't :) it's always been a concern of mine as I couldn't think of anything worse and wiping out my tank with meds.

Sounds like you've tried the whole lab! [emoji16]

Forgot to mention, I've used algae fix before when I was a beginner on a tank with mainly low tech plants, a lot of plants melted but bounced back. However I would suggest never using that product to rid algae now that I'm more experienced. It all came back anyway due to the the lack of balance in the tank.

Hornwort, jungle val, bacopa, and java fern were all recommended to me as being tolerant of brackish conditions. I have these now in fw but intend in going brackish once established. I'll let you kno how it goes20170602_175440.jpg

Back
Top Bottom