Plant selection help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20H tank. It has loaches, DG, BF Tetras, and a mustard spotted pleco.

I have baby Amazon Swords that are growing fairly decently but I want something that will be really thick and medium height. Any advice? I also have a few ferns on driftwood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liquid co2 booster. I got some wisteria from my LFS that just got it in that day and got 3 bunches. Will post pics after work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also my big swords are dying off because I don't have enough light. I wasn't aware that they were high maintenance plants

Some root tabs may help as well. I use them as deep as I can get them in a gravel substrate. Val takes off like a rocket using them.

I used to have root tabs but they were killing my shrimp

What sort? I've found some can release ammonia. I'm presently using a clay root tab with organic fertiliser but not completely happy with it.

Used to make my own from empty pills, clay and high potassium fertiliser which worked well.

Amazon swords will feed well through their leaves. Enough to keep them healthy. It's always better to target both feeding sites though.

The Amazon swords probably died because of lack of co2 booster. Were you adding any at the time they died?

What kind of lighting do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's a low tech set up. I have the co2 booster that I add every morning

They're API root tabs and I heard a lot of people liked then they just have killed their shrimp

They're API root tabs and I heard a lot of people liked then they just have killed their shrimp

From memory I did a test and one API root tab lifted ammonia from 0 to 0.25 in a 5gal bucket. Not sure on copper content of them but is usually not a problem.

Thanks Dela. I have 3 Kuhli loaches and I'm in the market for a bamboo shrimp. I just want to make sure it doesn't hurt them

Does anybody know a red plant to throw in there? I have one bunch but I want a big bushy red plant

Does anybody know a red plant to throw in there? I have one bunch but I want a big bushy red plant

Not 100% but I'm pretty sure that all red plants are high light only and are very hard to grow without injected co2. I'd stick to Anubis, Java fern etc

U might be able to get a type of crypt to grow but u will need root tabs and dry ferts or flourish and excel.

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

I have crypt and it's taken off. I have a fern to driftwood and I have floramax and root tabs

Back
Top Bottom