plant shooting up thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabezon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know I am horrible for not knowing what I put into my tank, but i have a question. This plant has done this before, shooting up a flower of some sort to the top. Is there a way that this will start another plant?

it was so amazing that it grew there in two days.

edit, sorry if this is the wrong forum

1306099846_m.jpg

Hard to see from the picure....

If it is a small sword plant (do a search on Echinodorus) Then the thing going up is a plantlet. Let it grow some and it can later be planted on its own.

If not a sword, then it looks like a "Orchid Lily", Barclaya longfoilia "green". AKA a "Betta Bulb"

A bigger picture would really help.

I should have said larger and clearer. Look up the names I mentioned and see if they look like what you have.
Sure looks like Barclaya to me. In which case the stuff going up are just floating leaves, like a lily.

Zezmo said:
I should have said larger and clearer. Look up the names I mentioned and see if they look like what you have.
Sure looks like Barclaya to me. In which case the stuff going up are just floating leaves, like a lily.

ROFL, sorry. here try this. But isnt Barclaya red? and i tried to show what is on the top, it is a pollen stamen.

img_719849_0_e0394f16e6a978bd06e7c0832bcce4d2.jpg

img_719849_1_325e861eb60767e4a587c2ab6a082d41.jpg

img_719849_2_1d4444222369fc295fe94d30fa91bdb5.jpg

the plant itself is the size of two fists, and the sprout is about 2 feet long.

rkilling1 said:
it's an Aponogeton. maybe a crispus.
i agree, my Aponogeton undulatus currently has two flowers, if you gently brush the flower you can self pollinate it, i have do this and have gotten baby plants, they never get more then a few inches tall thought :cry:

Barclaya is red or green.

Now that I see the flower, I agree with others as to it being an aponogeton. A barclaya will send up floating leaves.

I think t is the undulatas as well. After i pollenate it, will the new plant grow from there, eventually settling to the bottom?

No new plants, but it has shot up at least 8 more spears.
img_746650_0_d441262a252a200a554eb09463ec3fe2.jpg

is there any way that new plants will come from this? all that happens is that is creates pollen and then the fish eat them.

run a feather along the stamen (is that the right term?) every now and then and you might pollinate it. then the plant will shoot out a plantlet runner into the water and grow babies.

I've tried with my finger, but never with a feather. But it will create a runner? cool, that's what I was wondering.

Back
Top Bottom