Plant substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jconner3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm wanting to replace the pool filter sand in my 40 breeder with a sand plant substrate but all the ones I can find (Eco complete, floramax, fluorite) only come in black. Are there any others out there that aren't gravelish, but are somewhat "sand coloured"

Fluvals substrate is different than AquariumPlants substrate. I think alot of commercial substrates are rather light and don't see that would be an issue with stem plants since you can plant them deeply. I could see a problem trying to plant a large sword or crypt since they could fall over in lighter weight substrate but if you stick to smaller plants I can't see there being a problem. I've never personally used either substrate.

One thing I'd like to mention is the reason there are so many black substrates available is because a black substrate makes plant colors pop. Also many fish color up better with dark substrate.

Fluvals substrate is different than AquariumPlants substrate. I think alot of commercial substrates are rather light and don't see that would be an issue with stem plants since you can plant them deeply. I could see a problem trying to plant a large sword or crypt since they could fall over in lighter weight substrate but if you stick to smaller plants I can't see there being a problem. I've never personally used either substrate.

One thing I'd like to mention is the reason there are so many black substrates available is because a black substrate makes plant colors pop. Also many fish color up better with dark substrate.

Ooh ok that makes sense. I liked black substrates, and im just weird and dont like to replicate things in my tanks if I dont have to. I have black sand in my 60 gallon so I wanted to keep the 40 looking noticeably different. I think I may grab some of the aquadurt. It looks nice and its a good price for the amount you get.

Back
Top Bottom