Plant suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chill

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m new to plants and need suggestions and tips on how to take care of plants.

I’m looking for a taller type plant that’s low maintenance to fill up some empty space in the back of my tank. I already have 2 small moss balls.

I also plan to add 2 gold fish and either a pleco or catfish.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 95136A91-7D0D-443F-BCEC-8C7147AB8DA7.jpg
    95136A91-7D0D-443F-BCEC-8C7147AB8DA7.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 62
What size is your tank? The brighter your lights the taller your plants will grow. Swords might be a good choice. I just added some Amazon swords in my 55g and they are doing good so far.

I have a 20 gallon tank. I looked up the swords and just bought one hopefully it does good! Thanks for the suggestion!

This post is a bit old, but here is my $0.02. Amazon swords are pretty good. I also suggest Anacharis and Italian Vals (not jungle vals). Both plants are very easy to grow with no fertilizers required. In fact, stay away from fertilizers. They also grow very fast. Having the right substrate can also be very helpful. But I guess your tank is already established.

I just looked up the anacharis and I really like those! I might have to get some. Is having them in a rocky substrate okay? We’re also thinking of setting up a new tank soon so we could do a different substrate in that one if it’s better in something else

Welcome to the beautiful and complex world of planted aquariums. I sincerely mean it and I don't want to discourage you. Look for "aquascaping" or "planted tanks" in youtube and you'll see some beautiful stuff. I've been trying to do it for the past 2 years, and it's been an interesting experiment. sometimes rewarding and joyful and sometimes it's been a heartbreak.

Plants in general need a substrate which their roots can hold on and stick to. If your substrate consists of smooth pellet sized rocks, then the chance of success is small. There are bunch of vidoes on youtube regarding the substrate that you need for a planted tanks. There is eco-complete, ADA Amazonia, Seachem Flourite, and Fluval Stratum. They all have pros and cons attached to them..(financially or benefits to the plans). I suggest you to youtube it or just do a search on aquriumadvice.com. There are also plants that don't need substrate at all. here is a list:

Hornwort: very nice looking and easy to take care of.
Java moss: you can glue or tie it to a piece of rock or wood.
Anubias: same as Java moss.

good luck

Back
Top Bottom