Plant Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis simonson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's my problem: I've got a section in my ARLC tank that is shaded by an overhanging rock under which I would like to place some plants. There are a few drawbacks: (1) the plants need to be low- to medium-light species because of the shade, (2) the plants need to be light in color because dark plants will blend in with the dark background and won't show up, (3) after the first two considerations are met the plants must not be found tasty by my mbuna. This last requirement has caused me no end of trouble. Every time I find a plant that I like the looks of for the spot my Africans decide they like the way it tastes. Grrrrrr . . .

Here are the species I've tried: Cryptocorynes (several species, grew well in shade but too dark to be seen well), Anubias spp. (several varieties, grew well in shade but too dark to be seen well), Sagittaria weatherbiana (showed up well against background but did not grow well in the shade), Ranalisma humile (again, did not like the shade), Blyxa japonica (looked awesome, grew well, but sadly, tasted good too :( ), Didiplis diandra (really stood out but did not grow well in shade), Micranthemum umbrosum (again stood out well but did not do well in shade), E. tenellus (did OK in shade, but again, too dark to be seen well), Heteranthera zosterifolia (looked great, grew fairly well, but alas, tasted good too).

I'm pulling my hair out here. I know there are other plants that will do well, but I'm running out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys :)

Maybe I don't have the name right....opps that's it Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica'

mine stays very small ...

I second the Echinodorus parviflorous 'tropica'. I have one in my shrimp tank, stay small but healthy when almost totally shaded.

It is the little plant at front right corner:

Back
Top Bottom