Plant suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I can grow java moss, that is easy. I plan to make a DIY CO2 injector for both tanks with just a bubble effect and maybe an airstone. What I want is a plant that will be easy to grow, low to medium light and will provide a jungle effect. I think my anacharis might take off once I start the CO2 but is there something that might make a better jungle of plants? I don't want a dense cover but something that gives fish places to hide and also allows them to swim in between the stalks. I have also failed badly at trying wysteria, hornwort and java fern.

Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone have the link to the site that list all the plants and their light levels?

I would think about Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus, Anubias, Microsorum pteropus, Sagittaria Subulata, Hygrophila corymbosa "siamensis", Hygroph. polysperma, Vallisneria americana, ... 8O

The best would be to look at www.tropica.com and maybe for "real" pictures fill it into google-image search.

I use this. Includes profiles of nearly every known aquatic plant, including where they should be placed in the tank.

I'm interested in what happened with the other plants. Do you have sufficient lighting and nutrients (ie: NO3)?

TOns of NO3, too much by most standards. 40 in one tank and 80 in the other. The one with 80, the plants grow really well, in the one with 40, they don't grow as well. Much slower and not as healthy. I now dose with leaf zone.

I run 1.5 watts per gallon. One flourescent 15 watt for each tank. They are the grow lights so I think that should help the plants. I started a home made CO2 injector yesterday in the 40 NO3 tank to see if that helps. I know I need to get the sponge filter out to reduce surface agitation but I have to wait a couple weeks to get my Aquaclears and for them to get working right. I also have a 20 watt flourescent lighitng the back of the tanks.

As for wal-mart bulbs. They grow great for 3 weeks and reach the top of the tank then start to die off. WIll try to find ones that are the grasses instead of the lillies.

The hornwort fell apart. The ancharis rots at the base where it is planted. The wysteria fell apart and died. The java ferns never grow well but they haven't died. The leaves are dark green and only get 2 inches long at best.

jungle vals grow very very very long that leaves float at the top of the tank. same with onion plants (crinum thaianum). right now my jungle vals measure about 36"--and my tank height is only 17". checkout my gallery for pix. they're also fairly forgiving when it comes to lighting--especially the onion plants.

Back
Top Bottom