Plant Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just set up my 55 gallon tank and want some suggestions for plants to go in it. Keep in mind this will be my first planted tank and I have never been very good at taking care of regular plants. I need something easy to take care of and hardy. I also need something low light. This is my hood and I am just using the stock lighting (not planning on upgrading either as I just bought this):

48 Inch Perfecto Hood

I'm not sure how many watts that is. Maybe 40? So it isn't much.

Also here is a pic of my tank for reference. What would look good in here?

Attachments

• newtank1_634.jpg
    newtank1_634.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 26
Some low light plants are:
Java fern
Anubias
Crypts
Java moss

I grew wisteria in my 55g with the stock lighting, but it grew slowly and didn't look great. I used during cycling.

You are really limited with <1wpg....I'd try the ones listed above. They are easy to grow.

I too have a 55 with stock lighting. I have Java fern, anubias and crypts in the tank. They are all doing very well, though I did just get the crypts. I have a big linebacker pl*co in this tank, so I attached the ferns and anubias to driftwood and rocks, using silicone hair elastics (which are just ever so much easier and better than any other attachment method I tried).

This way I can just move the driftwood/rocks to one side, vacuum the gravel, then do the same with the other side. Attaching it to taller pieces of wood gives you some height with the greenery. "Fred" the pleco has had zero luck in tearing the plants off of their anchors, too. So far. I planted the crypts in the gravel near large objects, in hope that he will leave 'em alone. We shall see-the crypts are new!

I like the way Java moss looks, but haven't had much luck in keeping it out of the filter intakes; it doesn't seem to do all that well with the low light. I have some in another tank with more light and less current, and it's much happier there.

I just ordered the crypts and more anubias on AquaBid from a seller called "fishmandan"; they are by far the nicest plants I have bought so far, and I will get all my plants from him in future!

EDIT: Fergot to mention that the crypts should be planted with just the roots, not the crown, in the gravel. The others should be attached to something rather than planted.

Back
Top Bottom