Plant suggestions please + should i use co2? - UPDATE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have read just about all of this article http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#6

Do you all use a system as detailed as this? I will try to follow it, im just not sure can get hold of all them parts. I will probably start off with what i can get my hands on, and if i start to want a more efficient system, look into the more detailed parts.

What method of diffusion are you using? The "CO2 Bell" looks like a fairly effective method.

So the clover and crypts should be ok in my light levels? most others will require more light.

Thanks.

Thanks.
Do i need to go about introducing higher amounts of co2 slowly to avoid pH fluctuations that may disturb my rams? Or will the pH slowly come down over time with the introduction of co2 injection? I dont know the kH/buffering capacity or anything.
Im probably gonna start collecting materials for my DIY CO2 tomorrow.

elliott_001 said:
I have read just about all of this article http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#6

Do you all use a system as detailed as this? I will try to follow it, im just not sure can get hold of all them parts. I will probably start off with what i can get my hands on, and if i start to want a more efficient system, look into the more detailed parts.

What method of diffusion are you using? The "CO2 Bell" looks like a fairly effective method.

So the clover and crypts should be ok in my light levels? most others will require more light.

Thanks.

No you do not need to create a system as detailed as this. They are using a powerhead in the first design to actively diffuse the CO2 into the water. While this is a great way, it is much more complicated that you need most likely. Just build the fermenting chamber (2L bottle), get some tubing, and plumb it into the upside down pot. That's it. What I had described before was similar to the bell method in that article, but in my design :roll: it works better because it does not fill up and then overflow 1 bubble at a time. Due to the odd structure of the terra cotta pot and the fact that it is on an angle, the bubbles fill up for a couple of minutes and then a large bubble goes to the surface. This gives maximum contact time for each bubble and it never gets the the point where it fills up. I don't know if its a function of the terra cotta itself, or the design of the pot, but I don't care, it works! :)

PH fluctuation caused by CO2 injections shouldn't bother your Rams much at all. It is CO2 fluctuations caused by changes in KH that are very stressful to fish. I would highly recommend buying a KH test kit before you start injecting CO2, otherwise you are working blind and it will be very difficult to troubleshoot problems.

And even easier form of diffusion that is very efficient is to run the CO2 through your filter allowing the impeller to break up the bubbles extremely fine and diffuse them into the water. The drawback to this method is that it can be noisy and will damage some brands of filters by causing airlock.

I would highly recommend running two bottles instead of one and alternating when you change out the mix. This will help maintain more stable CO2 levels. Also spend the couple of dollars to buy a check valve and place it between the tank and the CO2 bottle. This will save you an enormous headache by preventing a backsiphon through the CO2 tubing.

To add to Purrbox,

You only need a check valve if your CO2 bottle is Below the level of your tank. If its at equal height, or above, you will never get a syphon effect. If it's below though, DEFINATELY get one. The slight cost and headache of installation is well worth not coming home to find your tank water on the floor, or the yeast in your tank.

When i frist built mine. I ran the in line for the co2 throw the pick up tube for my HOB filter. It disolved the co2 into the water great.

Thanks, i have my DIY co2 pretty much ready to go, i have added some new plants to my tank aswell. I just need to make the mixture and hook it up to the air line tube! I used a check valve on the airline and secured the tube to the inside of the tank with suction cups. I used the bottom of a clear plastic bottle as the 'co2 bell'. One question i have, and it's probably a stupid one.....what if a fish goes into the 'bell'? Its only co2, but say a gourami or something goes under it and takes a breath? lol.

I bought a kH and gH test kit.......i know i live in a hard water area but...blimey!
Here are the results:
kH - 11dkH (196.9ppm)
GH - 16dkH (286.4ppm)

I am making the mix now and will have it up and running before i go to bed. Should i turn off my air pump right away? Or should i perhaps leave it on over night, just untill the yeast gets going?? I was suprised at first to hear that i dont use an air pump when using co2, but now i see, its plain obvious. As co2 levels will be higher in the water than the atmosphere, any surface agitation will allow a lot of co2 to escape. What would the min amount of plants be in my tank to provide enough o2 for the fish? (just out of interest).
Thanks for all the help so far!

It looks as though the room my tank is in is a bit too cold for the reaction to get going! Overnight no co2 was produced! Hopefully it will have started by now! I will post some pics later, ive done some rearranging.

Can you tell us how you done your mix the amounts of everything. I didn't see that on here. Secoundly It took Mine over 24hrs the frist time to start producing co2. Also On the bowl Yes I had 3 fish dyi from getting stuck under the bowl. But they where younger fish and not really to smart about it. I mean they could get out of it easy enough.

Yes, i didnt post that, i read somewhere that the mixture quantities didnt have to be overly accurate :?

I used 1 1/2 cups of sugar (granulated)
1/4 to1/2 teaspoon of dried active yeast
4 or so cups of water

First i mixed some yeast in about 1/2 cup of luke warm water, left it for a while. Mixed up some warm water and the sugar, then poured it into the 2litre bottle. Then i tipped the yeast mixture into the bottle and added a little more water untill the bottle was about 3/4 full. Screwed the lid on and left it.
Is this ok? I wasnt completly sure of what sugar i had to use.

I have just got home from work, and found...still no bubbles!!

When i first but the co2 cup into my tank a cherry barb went into it (it was obviously full of water then though! Hope none of my fish go stupid on me and get stuck when its full of co2!!

Regular white granulated sugar is just fine.

It takes about 24 hours for the CO2 mix to really get going. If you aren't seeing any bubbles after 24hrs there is something wrong. The mixture is too cold, the yeast is dead, or there is a leak in your setup.

Check for leaks using a mixture of dishsoap and water. Apply this to the joints, and if you see bubbles you've got a leak.

What's the temperature of your house currently? Lower 70's should be okay for DIY CO2.

If you rule out both of the first two, then you may want to pick up a new packet of Yeast and add 1/8 - 1/4 tsp to the existing bottles. If you get bubbles withing 24hrs, you know it was the yeast.

Temp in my living room is about 70, its the biggest room in the house, and tends to be the coolest :x My two litre bottle is on top of my tank at the moment so it will be warmer than average room temp.

Im pretty sure there are no leaks in the system, there are only two places there could be a leak, so i will double check.

I take it my mixture was fine? What quantities do you use in your mixtures?

One more thing, i have another 2litre bottle which i could hook up to the system, should do this and have two running at once? Or should i save it untill my mixture is about to run out, then get it set up so i can change it at the prefect time to keep a continuous flow of co2?

TIA

Your mix and method sounded good. Run both bottles at the same time. Add them two weeks apart. That way when you switch one out the other is producing so your CO2 levels stay steady.

If you choose to use the bell method outlined by 7Enigma, current under or near the bell will increase the rate CO2 enters the water. I agree with Rich and Purrbox that staggered bottles and a powered diffusor is the best way to DIY CO2.

Your tank looks good and is low light though, so imo you don't need to worry so much about all of this if you'd rather keep it simple. Any supplemental CO2 will help, and with your light you can take your time increasing efficiency. How about a foreground of mosses and anubias tied to rocks?

For my DIY CO2 I mix the following:
1/8tsp Champagne Yeast
3/8cup Sugar
3/4L Water

Please note that I am running two 1 Liter bottles since my tanks are so small.

For a 2 Liter Bottle I would use the following:
1/8tsp Champagne Yeast
3/4cup Sugar
1 1/2L Water

From what I've read, 1/8tsp of yeast is plenty even in a 2 Liter bottle. There are some recipes which call for 1/4tsp. You could use either amount.

To add to czcz, if you are able to get ahold of some Anubias Nana Petite, they would particularly nice in the foreground.

Thanks for the suggestions. In my next mix i will use less yeast. Yes, thats a nice idea, i will look out for some anubias nana petite, i have a large anubias barteri in mid tank, i hadnt thought of using the dwarf species!
I have re-arranged the right side of my tank, and added some java moss, which i hope will do well, and spread. I tied it to a piece of driftwood along with some ferns and placed it at the back.

The co2 is flowing nicely now! I had squished the airline tube where it enters the tank under the hood!! Duh! :roll:
As i lifted the hood to check if i had crushed the pipe, a load of co2 shot out the pipe and filled the bowl! I have a steady flow of bubbles, (about 1 every 5-6 seconds) once the bowl is full it releases a large bubble every so often. There is no current under or near the co2, but i will sort that out later.

So, now shall i turn off my air pump, and forget about using airstones altogether? Seems strange since ive always known them to be used in tropical fish tanks. But i like the idea of the plants providing for the fish and vice versa. My tank will have ample o2?

Thank you all for helping to set this up :)

It's always the simple things we miss. Truly classic. :lol:

Yep, go ahead and turn off the air pump. You'll want to keep an eye on your fish in the morning to ensure that they aren't at the surface gasping for breathe. If you don't seen any problems in the first few days, You should be fine and can go ahead and remove both airpump and airstones. However, if you do notice that the fish are gasping first thing in the morning, you can put the airpump on a timer to run at night when the lights are off. Unless your tank is overstocked and heavily planted, I doubt you'll have a problem.

My airpumnp was off all night, and the fish seem fine this morning. My co2 is running fine. What should i be looking out for/monitoring to measure co2? kH?? Thanks.

Here's a good site to help ou measure the co2 levels.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

There's a spot about 3/4's of the way down the page where you can put your PH,KH in and it will calculat your level for you.

Now I see on here that most of ya'll on your mixes use only 3/4's acup of sugar. I've always used the recipe and it last 16 days my last mix lasted 19.

My recipe= 1/4 teas. wine yeast
2 cups sugar x 3 2liters bottles
4 cups water per bottle
1/8 teas. baking soda { as buffer for the ph level }

This set up I use is on a 75gal heavily planted. I only add the baking soda to 2 of the 2 liter bottles. As I found it keeps the ph just right at 6.0 to 6.5 . Without the baking soda my PH drops to around 5.5 to 6.0 . I havn't tested my KH lately but usely stays at or around 8 to 9 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom