Plant that covers bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is a good hardy low maintenance plant, that is readily available, the covers the substrate? Also if I got a plant that covers the substrate, I wouldn't need to vacuum it anymore, right? Also if you own the plant you suggest to me, please post a picture. Thanks

most carpeting plants require high light. The higher the light, the more horizontal the plant can grow. You would still need to vacuum, just do it gently.

marsilea minuta will do ok in low light... dhg will do ok in medium light. baby tears (HM) can do ok in medium light. dwarf baby tears (HC) will need higher lighting. There are a lot more, those are the more common. as far as vacuuming, I don't vac any of my planted tanks, and none of them are covered right now.... i only vac my bare bottom tanks.

Most carpeting plants are going to want CO2. It can be done w/o, but it will probably be slower going.

You can look at crypt wendtii ... it doesn't have the lawn grass like look of others, but it can be spread and fill out ..plus it's a low light plant.

crypt wendtii would not be something I would consider a carpeting plant... I had some that were at least a foot tall... and they do not stay down on the substrate. I doubt that would work for what the OP wants

You can look at crypt wendtii ... it doesn't have the lawn grass like look of others, but it can be spread and fill out ..plus it's a low light plant.

Not to mention that crypt wendtii will taking forever to carpet well unless you buy a ton.

After my first post I went down and took a look at my tank and crypt wendtii doesn't make the best carpeting plant ... but it does look soooooo nice as a foreground plant.(y) If the OP decides to forgo carpeting plants ... this could be an option.

I recommend checking out Dwarf Sags. They are awesome plants and fast growers too.

If you're DS grows more than 5", it probably not DS. There are similar looking sagittaria that grow higher.

redsea said:
No suggestions?

You have Hemianthus Calliatrodes, Glossostigma, Marsilea, and Lillaeopsis to name a few. Each have different advantages and disadvantages I think. Glossostigma will like more light. Lillaeopsis can look quite good and add some height but it won't spread quickly, and you will have to individually plant stems.

Back
Top Bottom