Plant turning black...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 4 leaf clover that has a couple leaves turning completely black. I also noticed the L. repens in my 26G not looking so hot either. Any thoughts on this? Will try to get pics posted.

26g14.jpg

26g15.jpg

26g16.jpg

26g17.jpg

26g18.jpg

Looks like it might be BBA. Is it hard to remove? If so, what are your CO2 levels?

I have no CO2 injection in that tank, just dosing Excel and Iron. Excel every day or every other day, and Iron once a week. Maybe I should up the Excel?

Just did some reading on it, will test my water. Could be no nitrates. Says bba thrives in high phosphates with no nitrates or low nitrates.

I would check the Nitrates. Dose if necessary. If that doesn't work then, I'd try upping the Excel to at least daily and possibly a larger dose.

Phosphates are at about 1ppm, maybe just under, and nitrates are closer to 5ppm than 10ppm. So I'll dose .5ppm phosphate, and 15ppm nitrate. See how things go from here. Will also up the Excel dosage.

If I remember correctly, Marsilea quadrifoilia only grows the "four leaf" look when emersed. When submersed, it grows a single leaf.

When I had some, it got choked by black algae and started to die off. It put out a few single leaves, but grew really slow. It looked like crap so I threw it out.

Submerged growth of mariselia is, in my experience, single leaves with no part in them. Based on this, I would say your picture shows emersed growth. As far as the bba goes, you'll probably have to trim out the attected leaves in your quest to eradicate it.

this may sound like a stupid question but i looked around and couldn't seem to find an answer... what is bba ?

Black Bearded Algae.

I would think this is some of the emersed growth dying off. Most plants sold as aquatic are grown emersed, then sold. they adapt fine, but the emersed growth hasn't adapted to submersed living.

Screwylui said:
this may sound like a stupid question but i looked around and couldn't seem to find an answer... what is bba ?

shld b refering to blue/black algae. i also think it's black algae.. looks similiar to the glosso in my tank.. some of them are like this too. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom