Plant waste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know most you guys and gals to the hobby a little more seriously when it comes to plants i.e shipping and selling plants, tabs and the like for a bit if extra income but for someone like me who doesn't really care for that side of things what should I do with my plant trimmings and cuttings? Does anyone else end up with too much plant to deal with?

I'm planning a major re-scape tomorrow and I know I'm gonna end up with a lot of waste. Some old leaves with a bit of algae on the odd stem that didn't take pre-EI dosing and I'm going to be dramatically thinning out my wisteria, which there is ALOT of.

I'm tired of tossing plants in the rubbish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just chuck them.. it's sad I know.. at first I'd have to send them out, even if I lost a few bucks.. now I have a bucket full every couple weeks.. no other home for them.. in a perfect world I'd have a grow out tub and I'd sell them to my lfs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just want to clear out some of the older foliage, thicken up the substrate so I can take the foam of the base if the stems and give the glass a good clean from a previous algae bloom. New growth looks good so this is going to be a 'thinning out' process with the addition of some larger background plants. Possibly replace the driftwood with a simpler branch like piece (I hope my lost colony of RCS isn't taking cover under the current wood) and do major gravel vac.

Any ideas or tips on what to add or remove wood be appreciated.

This is a low light tank currently stocked with:

3 amazon sword
1 bacopa (not taken well will be going)
3 wisteria originally 1 piece
3 hygro ploysperma
1 ludwigia repens
1 crypt (unsure of name)
2 Val's (the spirally ones) not doing too well.

Dosing EI and liquid carbon with root tabs for crypts, swords etc.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420918051.867875.jpg

Do it..50 gal tote... use potting soil, no stock, heavy ferts... a couple cfls.. boom done..

Do it..50 gal tote... use potting soil, no stock, heavy ferts... a couple cfls.. boom done..

I was thinking a lot less extravagant than that lol.

I chuck them in the compost. I don't dump clippings into the drainage system because it may eventually end up in my local river and although it'd be nice to see some hygro growing in there other elodea it's not right.

Compost, RAOK, or as already suggested set up a grow out tank. It's super easy if you decide to do an emersed set up, but all in all is only worth doing if the plants you have are not common and you plan on using or selling them in the future.

Sent from my iPad using science

I'm liking your tank the way it us now! Love the wisteria overgrowth! Makes it all more natural imo.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Yeah I like the way it's looking right now too. But I go on Craigslist and sell it for $5-$10 and there's always an over demand for any clippings I choose to sell. They come to my house to pick up so I don't do any work.

Well thanks guys. Today has passed me by now so I'll have another night to ponder before I do anything.

I heard Val's don't like something but can't remember what it was. Any ideas?

Well thanks guys. Today has passed me by now so I'll have another night to ponder before I do anything.

I heard Val's don't like something but can't remember what it was. Any ideas?

Vals don't like glut;)

That was it. Perhaps that's why they don't look great :(

Maybe... i just planted some cyperus helferi, I'll let you know how it handles the glut.

I've always heard of vals responding poorly to glut.. at any dose really..

Well thanks for you kind words guys but once I began tonight I just carried on (like you do)

So I added more gravel, thinned out the wisteria, removed a large rock, re-located the wood, removed all the root wool, trimmed and replanted all the other plants, took out the Val's and bacopa, did massive gravel vac (urgh), cleaned the glass of algae and did a 100 litre water changed.

And this is what it looks like at the moment (water hasn't fully settled yet)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421101506.561080.jpg

I'm hoping for good plant growth now and that the wisteria will fill out the back and some of the front. Took me 3 hours including the water change on the 46 in the dining room. The betta will have to wait till tomorrow. I am wiped!

Back
Top Bottom