Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

plant weight question

I got a shipment of plants in today and I am having trouble getting them to stay in the sand. I planted dwarf sag, pennywort, moneywort, and ludwigia. I set some rocks on the long stem plants but the dwarf sag I just stuck in the sand. Didn't want to put rocks on them. Can I use those little lead sinkers for fishing line to hold them down? I should have picked up some plant weights but didn't. Next time I go to the fish store I will pick some up but for now I have to improvise.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Those fishing weights are lead which you don't want leaching into your tank. You can push the stem plants deep into the sand and they should stay. Also with the plants you listed you need to plant each stem individually with the leaves almost but not quite touching the leaves of the stems around them. They need to be planted individually this way so light and water circulation can reach the bottom of the stems.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you. The plants were well rooted so I am hoping it will only take a couple of days for them to start spreading through the sand. I took a long plastic stick and pushed down into the substrate any roots that were floating. Nothing was floating this morning so maybe I am good. I planted a lot mixing the long steamed plants up all around the edges and back. I kept the java fern in the middle and around rock formations. I planted the dwarf sag around the front and middle areas. Nothing is over 6-8 inches long though and my tank looks a little bare. Hoping it grows in fast. I put the excess in glass jars with substrate to have on hand in case in case I needed fill in more. I will pick up root tabs and fert. but it will be towards the end of the month until I can get to a larger town that has any place to buy. I read on another board that you can use Jobe plant spikes cut up and placed in the sand like root tabs. Would that be an option for now.

Tank perimeters- 29 gallon tank

PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

25 inch 75 watt fluorescent plant grow light set directly on glass canopy for now. Had it mounted 12 inches above tank but was worried that was too far. Working on an adjustable hanging set up. How far should light be from top? Light is on for 8-10 hours a day.

I am going to be adding duckweed to tank. I am thinking of mounting another plant light, same as above, to the mid back of tank so the duckweed will not shade the plants. Good idea or not?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I hate duckweed as it is a pain to deal with. Honestly I'd let all the light get into the tank so the plants can use it to grow. I've never used anything but root tabs specifically for use with aquatic plants so can't comment on the Jobes.

Tags
plant, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com