Plant weights/anchors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candacecook1025

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking for some way to weigh down some plants...I have done some research and there seem to be pros and cons for everything. What do you all use? Lead weights, plastic, fishing sinkers? Please give me some good suggestions...I am changing out substrate this weekend and would really like to have everything in place by then. Thanks so much!

Do you have rowdy fish that you need plant weights? All my tanks are planted and the only tank I use plant anchors is in the goldie tanks. All you have to do is plant stems deep enough. You don't need plant anchors. But these are what I use in my goldie tanks....Professional Plant Anchors (on sale)(reg. $2.29)

^^This.

I also have to use them in my 10 gallon planted tank that has ADFs. The ADFs spend a lot of time walking/crawling around in and through the plants and frequently have uprooted long rooted plants.

how deep is your substrate? i have ADF as well and it doesn't uproot plants when it crawls through them. i suspect your substrate is less than 2inches

Weighing Down Aquarium Plants

I am looking for some way to weigh down some plants...I have done some research and there seem to be pros and cons for everything. What do you all use? Lead weights, plastic, fishing sinkers? Please give me some good suggestions...I am changing out substrate this weekend and would really like to have everything in place by then. Thanks so much!

Hello candace...

I use pieces of lava rock. It's natural. You can attach the plants using small rubber bands or long strands of sewing thread. Plants like Anubias and Java fern can be placed on top of the substrate. Others that need to be planted can also be attached to small pieces of lava rock and covered with the substrate. In time, the rubber band and thread dissolve in the tank water. By then, the plants are well established in the substrate.

Pretty simple and nothing that's potentially toxic, like lead, is put into the tank.

B

how deep is your substrate? i have ADF as well and it doesn't uproot plants when it crawls through them. i suspect your substrate is less than 2inches

It's right at 2 inches.

And they have uprooted plants with roots longer than the substrate is deep.

Maybe the difference in my tank and yours is that I have two male ADFs fighting (sparring and posturing actually) over the same female. It gets kind of rowdy in there sometimes.

It's right at 2 inches.

And they have uprooted plants with roots longer than the substrate is deep.

Maybe the difference in my tank and yours is that I have two male ADFs fighting (sparring and posturing actually) over the same female. It gets kind of rowdy in there sometimes.

what other fish do you have? so there's two people having the same problem? or one person having two accounts? i noticed two people posting about the same thing

what other fish do you have? so there's two people having the same problem? or one person having two accounts? i noticed two people posting about the same thing

A male crowntail betta.

Candace is the only one posting about the problem. I agreed with Rivercats that those anchors work, and are safe for the tank.

you said that "it's right at 2 inches" therefore i thought you have the same problem as Candace

I quoted your post where you asked how deep the substrate was, said you suspected it was not deep enough, and said your ADF did not uproot plants.

Back
Top Bottom