Planted 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mab2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just wanted to post some pics of my ten gallon planted tank. I think I am going to add one more fern in the back where there is an empty space. I was also thinking of adding some moss. Will it grow on my artifical log, or is there anything like that. Your thoughts, suggestions and comments are welcome.

Attachments

• 100_1888.jpg
    100_1888.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 100_1893.jpg
    100_1893.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 191
Yeah this is nice :) moss should grip on to the log eventually. What kind of foreground plant is that?

Yeah this is nice :) moss should grip on to the log eventually. What kind of foreground plant is that?

Thanks for the tip on the moss. I can name every plant in there except the ones in the front. I got them at Petsmart in a small bag. They were a lot smaller when I got them but have really took of since I planted them. Next time I am up there i will see what kind of plant they are. The two in the front on the far right and left are Anubis.

Wanted to show the difference lighting can make. The orginal pictures from November have the stock bulb lighting. I upgraded to a T8 single fluorescent light. I like the new look compared to the old bulb look. I also got a Hagan CO2 system that I use in the tank now. Makes a big difference. I am still not sure what kind of plants are in front of my log. The closest thing I can match it to is some sort of sagittaria.

Attachments

• DSCN0180.jpg
    DSCN0180.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 178
Mab2000 said:
Wanted to show the difference lighting can make. The orginal pictures from November have the stock bulb lighting. I upgraded to a T8 single fluorescent light. I like the new look compared to the old bulb look. I also got a Hagan CO2 system that I use in the tank now. Makes a big difference. I am still not sure what kind of plants are in front of my log. The closest thing I can match it to is some sort of sagittaria.

Your tank is nice! By any chance do you know the Kelvin of your T-8 fluorescent light? Also the length of it? Thanks!

If your original light hood was the screw in bulb type you could have gotten compact fluorescents and improved your lighting even better than the single bulb fluorescent.

What kind is where I get stumped, but the screw in bulb hood on most of the hoods out there are 15 watt max per socket. Having two sockets one could have 30 watts of fluorescent lighting as opposed to the single fluorescent t8 bulb. This idea works best on five and ten gallon because of the cfls penetration.

Atxpunx said:
What kind is where I get stumped, but the screw in bulb hood on most of the hoods out there are 15 watt max per socket. Having two sockets one could have 30 watts of fluorescent lighting as opposed to the single fluorescent t8 bulb. This idea works best on five and ten gallon because of the cfls penetration.

I read and heard that the fluorescent lighting does not have a spectrum. So in the end, you end up with I think like 15 watts total? Chances are I'm wrong on that though haha what do you think?

Well.... Your original hood, how many holes are there for light bulbs? I see the ones at Walmart have two holes for light bulbs on ten gallons. About the spectrum, if u can see the light it has a spectrum. It just isn't labeled on compact fluorescent so it detours people. Bottom line, more watts equal more power with fluorescents.

The cfl bulbs do have spectrums, but they are described as 'soft white' around 2300k and 'cool daylight' around 6500k. What you need is the cool daylight to have the proper lighting for plants.

My 10g has 2-14w cfl daylight, and I am able to grow all kinds of high light plants like baby tears and other groundcover.

Oh, and the cfl bulbs I use are only $8 for a pack of 3 at Home Depot, which is a huge savings. I used to use the CoralLife 50/50 u-shaped cfls, but they never seemed to grow much and they were around $12/each.

Donkey Gun said:
Oh, and the cfl bulbs I use are only $8 for a pack of 3 at Home Depot, which is a huge savings. I used to use the CoralLife 50/50 u-shaped cfls, but they never seemed to grow much and they were around $12/each.

By any chance do you know the names of the bulbs you use? You had me sold when you said you could grow baby tears haha

Donkey Gun said:

Yeah 50/50s are more for Saltwater tanks.
I need to get to HD one of these days.

They are made by Ecosmart which I believe is sold by all Home Depots. But, make sure to get the Daylight ones. Home Depot's light section can be daunting, and they are mostly filled with cool white. I had to hunt around before I found the daylight cfl.

Attachments

• image-1944569110.jpg
    image-1944569110.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 71
Donkey Gun said:
They are made by Ecosmart which I believe is sold by all Home Depots. But, make sure to get the Daylight ones. Home Depot's light section can be daunting, and they are mostly filled with cool white. I had to hunt around before I found the daylight cfl.

I found out my hood is only rated for 13 watts per bulb, so I'd have to really watch how hot the plastic got or switch out my ballast to use these. Plus the normal coil shape, I was afraid wouldn't fit behind my splash guard. BUT you can't beat the price !!!

If your original light hood was the screw in bulb type you could have gotten compact fluorescents and improved your lighting even better than the single bulb fluorescent.

Took your advice and switched to two 23w 6500k bulbs. That puts me about 4.6 watts per gallon. I have completely rearranged my tank, it is more open now. I am trying to get my dwarf hair grass to spread like a carpet. I have only had it for about two weeks with little growth. I am thinking about getting some Eco complete substrate to maybe help speed up the process. Right now I have basic gravel with root tabs. Has anybody had success with this type of substrate and getting a carpet look?

Back
Top Bottom