Planted 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
6-LEDs....not sure where that puts me(low.medium.high light)

DIY co2

Top Fin 10 power filter(seeding it by running it on my 37gal for 2+ weeks)

50watt Top Fin heater

Substrate. This is where I need help
I will use Eco-complete as a base layer and then should I just top it off with gravel(natural brown)?Or is it better to top it off with sand(white pool filter sand)?

As for plants. I want dwarf hair grass as a carpet. Any ideas for mid-background?

The best part about this all is that I actually have 2-10 gal tanks. Both with the same everything.

They will most likely be set up sometime this week as I need to make the stand from scratch tonight.

6 LEDS? Not all LEDs are created equal so you need to be more specific.

Why not just use 100% Eco Complete?

I think EC looks much better by itself and not layered with sand. I think the sand would end up working its way down below the EC. I think it would look better to avoid the 'cake layer' look.

I can't tell if those lights are suitable for plants. Do you know how many watts they use? You should contact the seller/manufacturer to get the lumens or what not. Just from looking at them, I'd guess that they aren't strong enough for plants -- even the low light variety.

DHG needs high light to thrive... maybe moderate at least. co2 is definitely needed too. I think if you really want to go high tech, you should buy a Finnex Ray 2 or T5 fixture -- especially for the DHG to carpet in.

I think EC looks much better by itself and not layered with sand. I think the sand would end up working its way down below the EC. I think it would look better to avoid the 'cake layer' look.

I can't tell if those lights are suitable for plants. Do you know how many watts they use? You should contact the seller/manufacturer to get the lumens or what not. Just from looking at them, I'd guess that they aren't strong enough for plants -- even the low light variety.

DHG needs high light to thrive... maybe moderate at least. co2 is definitely needed too. I think if you really want to go high tech, you should buy a Finnex Ray 2 or T5 fixture -- especially for the DHG to carpet in.

Can I cycle the tank first and then put the EC in? Or do I have to put the EC in first?

Back
Top Bottom