Planted 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaysE

Aquarium Advice Freak
So here's a fun little story. My girlfriend's parents have owned a 10 gallon tank for a couple years now, with the typical fake plastic plants, weak lighting, and too many fish that will eventually outgrow it. A fish would die every couple weeks and it would eventually get restocked.

I gradually started applying some good practices to the tank... I snuck on a spare timer I had lying around so the lights would keep a consistent cycle. I left an "Aquariums for Dummies" book lying around. I eventually even did water changes whenever I was there.

Recently was the last straw... a baby angelfish ended up in the tank. I proclaimed up and down that this fish will far outgrow the tank and will not be healthy living in there with 6 other fish. For weeks I would quietly toss in comments in conversation that this fish has to go, and I could help them make a truly pleasing tank for the owners and the inhabitants.

Last week, all that was left in the tank was the angel, now already almost 4 inches top to bottom. They gave in. I simply asked, "would you like me to manage this tank?" and they said yes.

So now it's go time! I started with the obvious... the angel went back to the fish store. It's the only fish that ever survived that tank, I'm afraid. Hopefully he's off to bigger and better places.

Next was location. The tank was sitting at the far end of the kitchen counter, constantly prone to slamming cabinet doors, heat from the dishwasher, and curious cats. With funding from them, I picked up a nice 10 gallon stand with cabinet and located a much more peaceful spot in the dining room with minimal sunlight exposure. So far, so good!

I completely cleaned out the tank yesterday and dropped in a bag of Eco-Complete. Everything seems to be set up pretty well: heater works, thermometer works, filter works (though a bit noisy), timer works, and battery backup works. Progress is going smoothly.

So today I'm at a crossroads. The lighting needs to be upgraded, which could easily become a couple hundred dollar ordeal if I'm not careful. I'd like to not spend too much cash, but I'll need to get set up with a 30-40 watt CF; either with a retrofit or a completely new hood.

This is where I need your help. Please let me know what you would suggest as a good lighting solution without breaking the bank. The hood on there now is a Perfecto 20" with a 15 watt fluorescent.

Moved to Planted tank forum.

Kudos to you for taking on the responsibility of caring for your future in-laws tank. I did a similar thing years ago and my mom in law is now pretty good at it. I just hope you inform them that there is still a chance of future fish deaths, the last thing you need is to have them question your abilities.

Now on to planting this tank. You are correct about needing the new lights. You will need at minimum 20wpg on the tank to keep some low-light plants such as java ferns, crypts and anubias. What is the length of the current bulb?

Jchillin said:
You will need at minimum 20wpg on the tank to keep some low-light plants such as java ferns, crypts and anubias.
I am thinking 20 wpg is a little bit high ;)
But a standard 20 watt CF bulb (I think they are 18") will be plenty. I have a 10 gallon tank with one of these that I got from WalMart for something like 12 bucks. If you are a DIY sort of person, they can be built into a new hood quite easily. Myself, I have it screwed into the underside of a shelf as the tank currently resides on a dresser.
Honestly though, my low-light plants have done well in other thanks with even less than 2 wpg.

shayfish said:
Jchillin said:
You will need at minimum 20wpg on the tank to keep some low-light plants such as java ferns, crypts and anubias.
But a standard 20 watt CF bulb (I think they are 18") will be plenty. I have a 10 gallon tank with one of these that I got from WalMart for something like 12 bucks. If you are a DIY sort of person, they can be built into a new hood quite easily. Myself, I have it screwed into the underside of a shelf as the tank currently resides on a dresser.
Honestly though, my low-light plants have done well in other thanks with even less than 2 wpg.

You left out the main issue with small tanks and the wpg rule. It breaks down significantly on a small tank so although the math works out, 20w over a 10g is not exactly 2wpg :)

I have a light very similar to this one:
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=94

Scroll down to read the "additional bulb" paragraph. I use the 6700K bulb.

My light bulb is a twin tube 14-watt (28 watts total) and this new hood holds one 28 watt bulb. The wattage is the same, and I have grown a very good variety of plants under this light. This wattage over a 10 gallon tank is medium lighting. I am also using pressurized CO2 in this tank. You could use Excel or a DIY yeast mixture if you don't want to go pressurized (yet!)

If you want higher light here's another fixture:

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=105

This light fixture would be longer than the 10 gallon tank but you can adjust the legs to still fit over the edges of the tank. The bulb length is not longer than the tank, from what I have read.

Jchillin said:
shayfish said:
Jchillin said:

You left out the main issue with small tanks and the wpg rule. It breaks down significantly on a small tank so although the math works out, 20w over a 10g is not exactly 2wpg :)

Hm. I actually didn't know that. Thanks. And here I was being cheeky because I was picturing a 200 watt bulb on a 10 gal to get your recommended 20 wpg. :)

LOL I could probably grow a tree with all that light. I'm at work now, but I'll take a look at everyone's suggestions and report back soon. :)

Couple of budget ways to look at it:

ahsupply.com, good retrofit kit, 1x36 watt fits over a 10, right? But that refurbished one is about the same price anyhow...

Ultra cheap way, not nearly as efficient though:

Get a budget two bulb incandescent hood, run about what, 12 dollars? Retrofit it with daylight screw in CF bulbs, 7 bucks for a pair, can easily get 30-40 watts total - although it isn't the same as a good pc kit, it will supply enough light for low/low-medium plants.

From one site I visit I've learned that 7 wpg over a ten gallon is the rough equivalent of 4 wpg over a 55, to give an idea of how badly wpg rules break on these small tanks.

It turns out I already had what they needed.. a spare light fixture for a ten gallon tank with two CF screw-in bulbs! Nothing beats free! LOL... thanks for reminding me ingg. :)

It's been quite some time since I started this little endeavour... the lighting is fairly low for this tank so everything grows rather slowly. The foreground is micro-sword, which has been slowly filling out nicely. The large piece of driftwood on the right has a few bits of java fern and a forest of java moss at the top. The rest of the plants consist of r. rotundifolia, l. repens and aponogeton.

The equipment consists of my old hood with 2 15W screw-in CF bulbs on a 12 hour timer, a Nutrafin CO2 system, a small Aquaclear HOB (I think it's a 20), heater set at 76F, and Eco-complete substrate.

Here are a few pics! :)

tank_2008-04-06.jpg

peac0ck-gudgeon.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom