Planted 10 with RCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackwagon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Set up my 10 gallon tank with my live plants and black sand today. I have been seeding my sponge filter in my 55 gallon tank. My plant list is

1x misc. anubias
5x rotala indica/rotundifloria
4x crypt wenditii
1x created java fern
1x java miss

This afternoon I'm getting my RCS and I'm really excited!

Attachments

• image-2276451869.jpg
    image-2276451869.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 134
jackwagon said:
Set up my 10 gallon tank with my live plants and black sand today. I have been seeding my sponge filter in my 55 gallon tank. My plant list is

1x misc. anubias
5x rotala indica/rotundifloria
4x crypt wenditii
1x created java fern
1x java miss

This afternoon I'm getting my RCS and I'm really excited!

I like it! I was just given a 10 gallon tank, & I'm going to make it a planted aquarium as well, with RCS, 1 assassin snail, & some fish, still debating on what kind.. What is your filter & lighting you are using?

My filter is a Hagen sponge filter that I picked up for $8. My lighting is actually an Aqueon hood that I bought at Petco. It's called a deluxe hood and it came with a 15w t8 bulb that is actually pretty good. It cost $40 but it's worth it.

I had my RCS colony with 3 females in a 10g with a 23W CFL and a little Java Moss. This started in May, now I have moved them to a 5g along with copious amounts of Java Moss and somewhere around 3 dozen+ RCS. It really is fun to watch them go from about half the size of your pinky nail and colorless to a 1" beauty.

You tank looks like a wonderful place to keep some of these great little shrimp!

Thanks! I just got these plants and I'm hoping they fill in nicely. I might also do a DIY co2 system to really get things going. But I'm out of money now so this is my setup for awhile

I'd say CO2 wouldn't really be necessary anyways. 15W T8 flourescent is low, medium-low at the most on a 10g; should grow the plants you have though.

Ok then I might just leave it as is. It's hard not to tinker though

My RCS arrived and I've been acclimating them and now they are in their new home. Thanks to maxwellag!

Attachments

• image-692497604.jpg
    image-692497604.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 114
  • image-1300596980.jpg
    image-1300596980.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 93
I would be watching the parameters closely. Shrimp and new tanks don't always go well together. (Seeded or not)

I know that's why I'm doing 25% changes every 3 days

25% PWC's and monitoring the parameters are two different things. Regardless if you perform PWC's, you should be testing the tank at least daily to see how it's going and make sure that the PWC's are enough.

jackwagon said:
Can I use flourish with the RCS?

I see no harm in doing so as I've dosed flourish comp in my fluval edge for over a year now with no ill affects...

Copper is very toxic to all invertebrates and flourish comp contains very small amounts of it but as long as you do not do any serious overdosing you should have anything to worry about!

Yes as mentioned above flourish is fine if dosed correctly , because the amount of copper are trace. Love RCS tanks :) have my 10 going right now with 1 new batch of baby RCS :) so much fun to watch . Looks good - Good luck

image-4184962071.jpg

Back
Top Bottom