Planted 10g Stock? Help :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankerJs

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am wondering how many Enderls, scarlet badis, ghost shrimp and otos to stock it with, and should I get pygmy cories too or not? It seems like people that have planted tanks generally add more fish than not, is that because the plants will consume the harmful ammonia and nitrites/nitrates?
I was thinking 8 endlers/2 scarlet badis/20 ghost shrimp/3 otos?

I think the concept is that the fish "feed" the plants, and the plants "filter" the water for the fish. The Nitrogen cycle progresses from Ammonia (NH3/NH4+) to Nitrite (NO2-) to Nitrate (NO3-), and Nitrates are what the plants prefer. Since fish generate ammonia, they indirectly lead to an increase in nitrates converted by your tank's bacteria and thus nitrogen for the plants. Conversely, fish prefer low to nonexistent levels of these compounds, so the plants do that side of the job.

The stocking sounds good, although I have no experience with badis and I feel a 10 gallon might be a little small for otos, you may want to go with the pygmy cories instead!

I have two 10g planted tanks. Pics on my profile page.

I have heavily planted tanks. I do have a lot of fish, but I added very slowly and test the water.
I have small fish with low bioloads.

Your stock list sounds ok, but I would trade Ghost Shrimp for Cherry Shrimp or Amanos. Ghost are easy Shrimp, but they may go after tiny fish. The other two are plant and fish safe.

Be aware some Scarlet Badis are only eating live food. Ask to see them eat. They like heavily planted tanks with easy going tankmates. They won't compete for food. They like floating plants to feel secure. I use Amazon Frogbit.

I was watching my Scarlet Badis male this morning. He stalks around the tank. Very deliberate predator. Mine came to me eating flake and frozen. If he eats a few shrimplets it's fine as I built up my RCS colony before adding him. I have 50+ RCS in there.

TankerJs said:
So I am wondering how many Enderls, scarlet badis, ghost shrimp and otos to stock it with, and should I get pygmy cories too or not? It seems like people that have planted tanks generally add more fish than not, is that because the plants will consume the harmful ammonia and nitrites/nitrates?
I was thinking 8 endlers/2 scarlet badis/20 ghost shrimp/3 otos?

Endlers ? I'd just do males as I have no patience for overstocked Livebearers tanks. Though Endlers are very cute. Make sure you have spare tanks for babies if you want to breed them. Be aware, planted tanks are a pain to catch fish in, you can destroy your plants if you aren't careful.

You could do 2 or 3 S. Badis (Dario dario) once your plants grow in.

Ghost Shrimp ? See my other post. We used to feed dead or weak guppies to the Ghosts. They like meat. And will tackle tiny fish if they are hungry.

Otos ? I have 2 in my 10g. 2-3 is fine. If you keep up PWCs and feed them. Mine tried to breed, but I ended up with two different subspecies.

I do have dwarf Cories. C habrosus. They were added last. My Shrimp Jungle started out as a Shrimp only tank. 2 Otos were the only fish. pygmaeus and hastatus are the other choices. My largest female is just over an inch. Love them. They like the sand and are great with my RCS.

I do PWC at least 1x weekly, more if needed. I have root caps for my Crypts n Swords. I use liquid plant food 1x weekly after PWC.

Oh and when I say I added slowly, the tank has been up about a year. I didn't start adding fish except Otos for 6 months. My Shrimp colony reached 100+ before I added potential predators ;).

I gave some Shrimp to club members. Paying it Forward for all the free plants I've been given. I've got around 50? RCS and 10 CRS plus fish and snails.

I trim/thin out stem and floating plants weekly.

Maintenance ? About an hour a week. No heater. HOB filter. CFLs for light.

sounds like my tank. rcs are too expensive for my price range though

TankerJs said:
sounds like my tank. rcs are too expensive for my price range though

Try finding other hobbyists or clubs near you. I attend two fish club meetings a month and the auctions have amazing prices.

I got my first RCS from a hobbyist on Craigslist.
I started with 15 for $20. I ended up with 100.

Crystals are pricey, but I have a club member who breeds those.

The Planted Tank sales forums have Shrimp for sale often.

Well, coursair already pretty much answered everything plus some lol great and helpful posts Tina, as usual:)

I have insomnia too. I can't wait to start this build! any other ideas on stocking?

TankerJs said:
I have insomnia too. I can't wait to start this build! any other ideas on stocking?

CPDs
Chili Rasbora
Threadfin Rainbows

All are at least adult Shrimp Safe.

Look at all the Nano fish, before you decide. My CPDs are beautiful.

Coursair said:
CPDs
Chili Rasbora
Threadfin Rainbows

All are at least adult Shrimp Safe.

Look at all the Nano fish, before you decide. My CPDs are beautiful.

I'll second that, I have a small school of CPDs and once they got over their shyness, they became active, exciting members of my smaller setup. From far away, they're just little dashes of orange, but up close, their patterns are gorgeous. They're great little fish. I've heard good things about chili raspbora, but was never able to find them when I was setting up that tank.

I have both chili Rasboras and CPD's in different 10G's. My CPD's are still trying to get over their shyness stage lol but I love my chili Rasboras!! I think they are gorgeous! They're also pretty cute, when they school together they like to play in the current of my filter. Not to mention they're super curious. The chili's are in my shrimp tank. I've seen them swin right by a newborn shrimp many times:)

Back
Top Bottom