Planted 125

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glenc

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is the 125 I've been working on since Christmas, set it up Dec 23rd. I'm finding a tank this size is difficult to aqauscape well, just can't seem to get it to look right. It is starting to look better, foreground and midground are ok, back ground and left side still need alot of work. Still looking for the right plants. I am using Turface mvp for substrate, 1 inch at the front to 6 inches at the back.
I am experimenting with Metal Halide lighting as well, there are 2x150wt pendants on there and 2x65wt PC in the middle to fill it out. I plan on getting another MH pendant for the center, just don't have the cash yet. So far it is doing well, growth is excellent with MH, just not sure I like the colour as much as when I ran with all PC. The MH lights seem to wash out the reds. I am running 14000k in the MH fixtures at the moment, picking up 10000k bulbs next week, hopefully that change will bring the reds back. The MH lights are intense, get pearling way down deep in the tank and the water just sparkles. Fish colours are real nice as well.:)

Attachments

• IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 384
I think your aquascaping skills are great. I look at my 135 and your 125 and I need lessons! LOL. I wish I could scape as well as you. Looks absolutely gorgeous.

people like you irritate me! LOL (j/k)! Your plants are SOOO healthy and your aquascape is amazing and you DONT LIKE IT???? AHHH if I could grow plants 1/100th as that well I would be happy!

Looks awesome Glen!
Why do you think it's the size of the tank that is giving you a problem?
Is the deep pearling limited to just the ends under the MH lights or are you getting some in the middle also?

Are the little plants that are your carpet the crypt broad leaf? The crypts you sent me are doing so well that they are now in 6 out of 10 tanks.

Thanks for the comments guys, had to laugh blazeyreef! I'm not very often happy with anything, so I'll keep at stuff till I get it how I want it, that or snap and throw it out the window! I'm not any more talented than anyone else, but I am more determind than most! This tank is starting to take shape, in the 2 and a bit months it's been running I've re arranged it at least 10 times. Gonna try to leave it alone and let it grow in a bit
An t-iasg, for fish, there are 15 neons,15 cardinal tetras, 20 rummynose, 15 glow light tetras, 3 nice angels,3 Rosaline sharks, 15 ottos, 4 large SAE, 10 neon rosy barbs, 15 Rasboras, 2 yo yo loaches, and a few more I can't remember! Fairly heavy bioload but the tank is well filtered with 2 Fluval 405's and 3 small Rio submersible pumps to aid in water circulation.
Hey Glitch,the deep pearling is really only happening under the MH lights, little or no pealing deep under the 2x65 wt fixture. I actually had to raise the MH higher away from the water surface by clamping a couple of 2x6 boards to the stand, then clamping the MH pendants to those boards. Growth was crazy, some of the stem plants were growing 2" a day, raising the lights has slowed things down a bit.
This tank has definatly been tougher for me to scape as it is just a huge canvas and I ain't that good a painter! I'm finding it is looking better as it grows in, the original layout in my head is starting to take shape. In hindsite, I wish I had built a few terraces in the back so I could have used smaller bushier plants to fill in the background instead of taller skinnier ones. The back will fill in in time, just got to keep topping and replanting.
Zagz, that foreground is mostly Lobelia cardinalis small form and Downoi mixed together. The Lobelia seems to work well and looks to scale in this large tank, grows well for me as well. I'll send you a whack of it when it warms up. I started with 6 small plants in my 75.
Those Crypts are bullitt proof for sure, They are in my son's 10 and 25 gallon tanks which get neglected badly,and they just keep growing beautifully, can't kill em, grow like weeds! They get big as well. They will go a nice bronze colour in high light or a pretty olive green in lower light. I think they actually keep my son's neglected tanks going by acting as a nitrate sponge. Thanks again for the comment guys, great to hear from you all again:):)

"not a good painter" :biglol: so modest.

2" a day huh...that can be overwhelming but maybe you should have left the MH's lower so the back fills in quicker.

Thanks for the comments guys, it's getting there. Not sure about the MH lights, got to give it a bit more time.

Hey there pitt420dude, I do not use root tabs in this tank, growth has been good without them. Also, the Turface is so light I would worry the tabs might leech out into the water column, no matter how deep you buried them. Could induce green water, and that is no fun to get rid of. Maybe not, just never tried them in this light a substrate. Maybe someone that has could chime in. Also, I used 2 50lb bags of Turface MVP. Gave me 6" at the back, 1" to 2" at the front.

Watch it you guys, don't drool on a laptop...you could smoke it....lol.

Glen, your post needs to have a drool warning. :)

More pics! More pics! More pics! :) :)

Back
Top Bottom