Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
planted 30gal

I am finally renovating my old fw tank that's been wasting away in the guest bedroom.

Before the tank had a bunch of ugly fake plants and colorful gravel that was all nasty. it had an unknown pleco, and what i believe is a pictus catfish.

Now i have removed everything, placed flourite, driftwood, some slate rock, and a few small terracotta pots. i still have the two fish that will be returned to the store tomorrow. also, i picked up some bolivian rams today. they have paired up nicely and wont leave the others side! for lighting i have a t5 ho fixture that i was going to use as a light for a sw frag tank but never did. the filter is a wisper 60.
my plans for the tank are to heavily plant it and to make it into a community tank. i have ideas for the fish but im clueless about plants. as far as fish go i'd like for the tank to have; a bolivian ram pair(already obtained and in tank), a black veil angel pair, maybe some type of dwarf gouriami (more than one?), a red tail shark, oto (more than one?), an to finish it off some silvertip tetras. im all for changing it up so tell me what you think.

Im (as you can probably see) a newbie and im open for any advice so bring it on!
thanks!

Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

how many watts is your fixture?

Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

pics

i couldn't find any before pics but here are some afters, be warned, i shot these with my phone so they're kinda bad. 1: FTS 2: lights, filter, heater 3: rams and catfish 4: pleco.
tank is a little cloudy still as you can see. and this tank is established (forgot to mention that the tank HAS been cycled)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fw1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	19612   Click image for larger version

Name:	fw2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	19613  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fw3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	19614   Click image for larger version

Name:	fw4.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	19615  

Old 07-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i wouldnt know what to recommend for plants! its all your personal preference. i have a lot of plants that i liked the picture of online but dont like in my tank. i've been stocking my tanks with all different kinds of plants to see what i like the most before i start and aquascaping adventure.
are you planning to go with co2 and ferts?
is it gonna stay in the guest bedroom and not get much attention?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

what type of bulbs? k rating?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would drop the idea of the RTS. they get aggressive as they get older. how long is the light? 24 inch? my guess is 24wx2 which should let you grow a rage of plants.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sorry, 4 bulb 24". i believe that im a little high in the k rating somewhere around 10,000 for the white bulbs and then there are 2 actinic bulbs.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i would personally switch them out for 6700k
Old 07-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

little list thing...
1. can someone help me get my list down to a definite list so i can get down how many of what ill be getting.
2. ill get some new bulbs. ill gt some plants after that. can i get a list of plants that i should stay away from?
3. how is my aquascaping for now?
4. should i do CO2?
5. what would you do with my set-up. where would go from where i am at the moment?
thanks!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

everything looks good. definately get co2. you will need ferts (n,p,k, trace). you can get just about any plants you want with the proper lights, co2 and ferts, nothing really to stay away from.
as far as where i would go with your setup... the sky is the limit. do your research. experiment with your plants, not everything will work in your tank. but there is only one way to find out. buy plants that you think look awesome. worst case scenrio you have a dead weed that cost you $5. i would buy your plants from your favorite forum. you usually get better deals and support your forum at the same time.

Tags
30 gallon, plant, planted, planted 30g

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com