Planted 36 gallon bowfront **lighting question**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmedic25

Aquarium Advice FINatic
36 gallon**lighting question**HELP!!

Im upgrading my lights to the 55w bright kit from AH supply. It will fit in my factory light fixture that came from aqueon. My question is the fixture is isolated from the water by a strip of acrylic built into the lid. Should I remove the strip of acrylic from the top or just let the light shine through the acrylic. A better way to phrase it is, does the acrylic filter out or harm the rays I need for the plants? thanks
Justin

If I recall correctly (as I don't have an engineering reference text at hand atm), a think layer of acrylic will reduce light by about 10%, assuming it's clean and clear. I think that it's safe to say that you will experience more light loss from accumulation of hard water and/or grime on the underside of the panel that you will from the actual acrylic itself. A+ for going with an AH Supply light too.

Also FYI, "bumping" is generally not a good idea, and may or may not be against the site's official rules.

That's correct, bumping is against the site rules, I deleted the bump post, please refrain.

I'd leave the acrylic on, it might reduce some of the intensity but those AH supply kits are really high quality. The other nice thing is it will reduce the amount of moisture getting into the fixture and wiring which is another bonus.

That's correct, bumping is against the site rules, I deleted the bump post, please refrain.

I'd leave the acrylic on, it might reduce some of the intensity but those AH supply kits are really high quality. The other nice thing is it will reduce the amount of moisture getting into the fixture and wiring which is another bonus.

Sorry about the bump, wont happen again.

Isnt losing intensity a bad thing? Intensity is the point of upgrading to the 55 watt kit. Im glad to hear you say leave it. I want to keep the tank covered. I keep the lid clean so grime buildup isnt an issue. Thanks guys

Losing intensity is bad, yes. Losing 10% or so is not a big deal. Protecting your fixture from moisture will probably be worth it in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom