Planted 55gallon HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 gallon planted that's really not doing that well... Lol I have three amazon swords, two bunches of something I forget the names of and a java fern. The substrate is just pool filter sand. I was going to get root tabs but the guy at the pet store suggested potassium supplement instead because apparently root tabs can harm the plants if they're directly underneath and there's too much of it? Idk. So I've been using the potassium stuff three times a week, but the amazon swords are still going brown/yellow and look like they're dying. Plus my baby Oscar just died for no apparent reason. I want to get another fish, but first I need to figure this tank out... I don't want another fish to die :/

I would use the root tabs. I have had no problems with them at all and my plants grow well. I use Flourish by Seachem.

Also there's a DIY route you can go if you want. I've done with with my plants and I got the same results as when I used seachem tabs. All you do is go on eBay or amazon (or wherever you can find them) and get size 00 gel capsules (empty of course) and buy a container of osmocote indoor/outdoor formula pellet plant fertilizer and fill the capsules with osmocote pellets. I did this and it makes A TON of root tabs. Just push them down about halfway in your sand near the plants. These should last anywhere from 2-4 months. Also if you can get some liquid co2 to dose in your tank should help tremendously to.

Also if you weren't using any root tabs prior to this, that would be why your swords are suffering. They are heavy root feeders and that's how they get their nutrients, so root tabs are a must for swords, as well as crypt plants. And the guy who said root tabs would harm your plants doesn't know what he's talking about. Just be sure and place the root tab near the plant and you will be just fine :)

Ok thanks for the help :) any idea what happened to the Oscar?

If you have test kits, posting water parameters will help in determining what have caused your fish death. Also Seachem root tabs are good but in my experience they didnt last long(greedy plants lol). As far DIY tabs I just posted a thread recently with my venture. You don't have to order gel caps online. You can get them from health food stores.

I only managed to find size 0 but they do the job. If you want the Seachem brand tabs try Petmountain.com, I bought tabs there for $6-$7 per 10 pack. As usual when buying online shipping can be pricy but if you can make a bulk purchase you will save a ton on products.

Yes it's been cycled for years. And okay thanks :) I'll look into the DIY root tabs

Back
Top Bottom