Planted 90

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glenc

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, this tank has been running for around 6 months now, it was planted with plants that survived from my Discus tanks. I was not happy with the growth or condition of the plants in those tanks so I started this one to satisfy my planted tank addiction.

Lighting is 2x 150 wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, substrate is Eco mixed with playsand 50/50. Dosing is standard EI.

It is pretty much a big glass box with plants growing in it, not much attempt has been made to scape it. No time! I have a few varieties growing well in here that I could never get to grow before, Green Cambomba and Limnophila Aromatica. They would always just melt away on me. Funny how things will grow when you are not really paying that much attention!

I have been inspired by some great scapers here and plan on a large re planting, trimming and moving stuff around this weekend. Thought I'd show you all a few before shots.:)

Attachments

• IMG_2522.jpg
    IMG_2522.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2525.jpg
    IMG_2525.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 128
very healthy looking tank Glen. I like it. If those are your before shots, I can't wait to see the "after".

Sigh. One of these days I'll learn not to look at your threads unless I'm in the mood to drool. *busy wiping off keyboard*

LOL Joy, I learned allot about this hobby from you:)

Quick update, tank filled in twice since my last visit, this is the latest incarnation, time to pull and replant again! I'm running a solenoid for the first time on this tank, usually I run my C02 24-7. I'm finding I can inject more C02 for shorter period of time as opposed to running lower levels 24-7. No stress on the fish at all running almost 3 bubbles per second with an Aquamedic 1000 reactor. Drop checker is a greenish yellow, almost yellow by lights out. I'm growing stuff in this tank that I have never been able to grow before. Same ferts, same substrate. Only diff is higher C02 level, which dosn't climb to dangerous levels as it shuts off with lights out and gasses off at night. Don't get that much of a ph swing either, which I was expecting as my water is liquid rock. The system has balanced out well. All is good so far:D

Attachments

• IMG_2788.jpg
    IMG_2788.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 91
It was asked earlier but I'll ask again. What are the red plants you have in there? In the first pictures that is...

Thanks for the kind comments and sorry guys, I never did say what that red plant is, must be getting old!! It is Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple).
Can be a picky one and has melted on me before. Give it C02, lots of light and trace ferts with a little extra iron and it will love you:D

Keep in mind a magor factor, our water, is very different. What works for me in my tanks may not work for you in yours. For me the planted tank hobby has been all trial and error. Use any info as a guidline and just keep trying different stuff till you get the results you are after:D:D

Thanks for the kind comments. Hey JustinRex, don't be jealous, you can do it to. How well just depends on your standards and how determined you are, just keep at it till you get it the way you want it:)

Back
Top Bottom