Planted aquarium newbie???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshNate97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a newbie to the whole planted aquarium thing. Ive messed around with it, and i think live plants look beautiful. right now, i have some plants in a fifteen gallon tank with 15 watts of florescent lighting. the plants i started from bulbs grew fine, but now they are turning brown and losing leaves that clog up my filter intake. i did some research and apparently 1 watt per gallon is only sufficient to grow extremely undemanding of plants. These are just plants sold in a package as the dried bulb at petsmart. some are onions and those are doing fine. i have a tall, leafy plant that looks cool, but unhealthy. i am looking into getting a new lighting system and/or CO2 system and/or fertilizing. im really new and could use all the help and knowledge i can get. thank you to those that reply!

for a 15G tank, i'd do DIY co2;) and for your lighting, you can find nice fixtures online for $60 or just go to home depot and make your own lighting for $30........................how logn is the tank? and maybe, if you are super interested, maybe get a bigger tank?

any pics of the plants?

its 24x12x12 im working on some pictures. i was looking at a company called "sunslighting" and they have cheap and powerful lighting. have any of you guys had any experience with them?

Back
Top Bottom