Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Planted Betta Tank

Hey AA community! So I found a fish tank that looks pretty neat to me. Itís anywhere from 2-5 gallons and Iím planning on getting it in about a week or so. Iíll look for pics. It includes little ďroot tabsĒ and advertises that you never need to clean the water or feed the fish due to the plants on top. This thread isnít to discuss how bad that is but rather tips for setting up and how I should move on with this. I also have a few questions.
1. How would the plants affect water quality?
2. How would the plants effect feeding?
3. Could the betta manage to survive on just the plants? Not planning on doing this so donít worry!

Old 06-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Plants will aid in water quality, but not near enough for no filter / regular water changes.
Plants will not provide enough food for a betta.
Plants will not effect feeding, feed as you normally would.

What sort of filter + heater are you going to run? Bettas need those.... Or at least some sort of warmer, consistent heat + slight water movement.

Floating plants are the best for absorbing Nitrate, Phosphate and a whole verity of other compounds.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo the Fish View Post
3. Could the betta manage to survive on just the plants? Not planning on doing this so donít worry!
1. They'll help, how much depends on how many plants and how good they are at nutrient uptake. They won't eliminate the need for water changes, though. Bettas do best with clean, fresh water.

2. Not at all. Bettas are bug hunters, though they do enjoy the meat of frozen peas.You'll want to give him a good, high-protein pellet and supplement it with frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp as an occasional treat.

3. Nope. He'd starve.

When you do get your betta, post pics.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I already have a betta fish in a two gallon tank. Itís a plastic one and has many scratches and stuff so a new tank isnít necessary but I wanted this one. Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-19-2018, 01:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo the Fish View Post
Plants would certainly help with the water quality but you would obviously still need to do water changes and tests. Plants shouldn't effect feeding, i have a 10g planted tank and my betta seem to easily find the food although it can depend on the personality of your betta. some are completely obvious when food is right in front of them lol. just don't drop the food on the opposite side of the tank and make sure that your fish can see the food. your betta will NOT be able to survive on just the plants! my school had a betta in a planted tank and they thought it would be fine without being fed. nope, it died after 2 weeks of starvation.

Tags
betta, plant, planted, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com