Planted Bowls!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
A few different people have been planning a planted bowl project. Just starting a thread for everyone to share their progress! Here is my bowl today. Hopefully getting some substrate pretty soon. :)

img_2425698_0_ebcbd2ae1b61cc7412c276d61033d59c.jpg

I'm working on one too! Definitely want to follow along and see everyone's creations!
I'm thinking about doing soil with a ton of stems and maybe some moss on a twig lol

Count me in! Went to petsmart for a 10g today and saw some bowls, almost bought it until I only had $20 with me, not enough for the 10g and the bowl :( next time!

Awesome! :) I'm excited. I've missed freshwater!

Super excited to see everyone's creations!!!

60074-albums12102-picture54575.jpg

Before with blue leftover rocks,

Mine started out with, I think 1/2 gallon "Fish" bowl, with Ramshorn snails, then went to this bigger round bowl.

Found at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore thrift store for $1.00.

Last week I switched out the gravel for Garnet sand.

60074-albums12102-picture54577.jpg

Which here is a link for a drawing for free Garnet sand RAOK.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/free-raok-garnet-sand-ends-4-13-13-a-256170.html

This would be enough for a "bowl", vase or what have ya.

A couple months ago I put in some blue dwarf Cherry shrimp, ambient temp in the kitchen, where is keeps arount 69-70F being it's winter. Only air from plants. LOTS of plants. They are doing great. Add tiny-small amounts of food. every few days

Originally was a place for little bits and scraps of plants which were too small to plant. A few days ago I found a little piece of Hornwort from some which had melted on me, was around 18", and took out appx 15 stems of Guppy grass.

Added the plants on top so I could disguise it as a plant. And not count it as a fish tank. So I can't get ribbed by hubby about how many fish tanks I have! LOL

I have a new project. Just got a large 3 gallon container, kinda like an old fashioned candy jar that sits up right, not the slanted kind.

Can't add a pick as I am at the 100 max allowed for free in my albums! lol

Basically will be the same thing, but with Dark red Cherry shrimp. That way I can see them easier. Blue Cherrys blend in pretty well, especially before with the blue gravel, lol.

Super excited to see everyone's creations!!!

Before with blue leftover rocks,

Mine started out with a, think 1/2 gallon Fish bowl, with Ramshorn snails, then went to this bigger round bowl.

Found at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore thrift store for $1.00.

Last week I switched out the gravel for Garnet sand.

Which here is a link for a drawing for free Garnet sand RAOK.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/free-raok-garnet-sand-ends-4-13-13-a-256170.html

This would be enough for a "bowl", vase or what have ya.

A couple months ago I put in some blue dwarf Cherry shrimp, ambient temp in the kitchen, where is keeps arount 69-70F being it's winter. Only air from plants. LOTS of plants. They are doing great. Add tiny-small amounts of food. every few days

Originally was a place for little bits and scraps of plants which were too small to plant.

I have a new project. Just got a large 3 gallon container, kinda like an old fashioned candy jar that sits up right, not the slanted kind.

Can't add a pick as I am at the 100 max allowed for free in my albums! lol

Basically will be the same thing, but with Dark red Cherry shrimp. That way I can see them easier. Blue Cherrys blend in pretty well, especially before with the blue gravel, lol.

Love it! Do you have a heater or anything?

Love it! Do you have a heater or anything?

No heater or anything. When I had the "fish" bowl, it had plastic wrap on top (with holes) and just sat next to my 16G tank, hardly any light. The cat liked to drink out of it when the holes in the plastic wrap on top got big. lol

Now with the added plants on top, I do point a desk lamp at it more frequently.

Awesome! I just picked up a pretty big bowl myself this past weekend. I'm guessing it holds 2.5-3 gallons so I can't wait to start planting in it. Gonna do potting soil with an EcoComplete cap for my substrate. May have to start a build thread once the project begins!

Awesome! I just picked up a pretty big bowl myself this past weekend. I'm guessing it holds 2.5-3 gallons so I can't wait to start planting in it. Gonna do potting soil with an EcoComplete cap for my substrate. May have to start a build thread once the project begins!

Let us know, will love to follow! Haven't decided what to put in the bottom of my next one yet!

Awesome! Looking forward to following!

Let us know, will love to follow! Haven't decided what to put in the bottom of my next one yet!

I still have no idea what I'm putting in mine!

Still need to go shopping... I'm here though! :)

Yay yay! This is going to be fun.

Following

(Not hijacking)

I'm starting a dirted bowl too.

Back to lurk mode.

Mary

Feel free to post pictures or whatever you would like. :) I'm going to use it as my build thread, but so can anyone else! It's all about inspiration. :)

Awesome! Looking forward to following!

I still have no idea what I'm putting in mine!

Yay yay! This is going to be fun.

Feel free to post pictures or whatever you would like. :) I'm going to use it as my build thread, but so can anyone else! It's all about inspiration. :)

Thanks!

It is sort of like working on a group project with your own interpretation! I think this will be really fun, so thanks for sharing the space!

Ive had a 1/2 gallon bowl I have wanted to plant but I dont have any substrate so im hoping I win that garnet sand.

Thanks!

It is sort of like working on a group project with your own interpretation! I think this will be really fun, so thanks for sharing the space!

You're welcome. There were several of us working on the idea (Dantheguppyman and billbug) maybe some more. I didn't mean to leave anyone out if I did.

Can't wait to get my substrate and light!

Is it too late to jump aboard? I've been debating trying my hand at plants and think this would be the perfect opportunity for me to give it a go!

Back
Top Bottom