Planted discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loukas42

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anybody on this site have a planted discus tank or own discus in general?

What plants are okay with the high water temperature, because I know some plants won't last. And what would you say would be a good stock for a 75 gallon tank.

The stock depends on what other fish you want in there or if you want a species only tank.
As far as plants go, I haven't tried many but I've succeeded with swords and I also have a dwarf crypt, some water onions, a cardinal plant or two, a huge aponogeton crispus, and an anubias nana plant. I don't have many plants yet. I also have a large lily of some sort but I'm not sure what it is. But plants also depend on lighting

Yeah im going to get a t5 ho light fixture. With 2x54 watt bulbs I think. And what do you keep yours with? Also, what's your water like, cause in Indiana we have hard water and at my lfs they say they probably wont survive unless they are in RO water and I know it can be done in hard water, but idk If I want to risk buying them and killing them because they are so expensive.

I have really hard water. I have kuhli loaches rope fish angels black skirt tetras and bleeding heart tetras with mine. Honestly idk if I just got lucky but I've never done anything special for them.

Okay. That's a pretty nice range of stock. I'm seriously interested in keeping discus. Wanna get rid of my two huge oscars in the 75 and change in into a planted 75 discus tank!!

Some really kool tetras are Congo tetras and red phantom tetras but I haven't found them in a store yet. A lot of people tend to keep rummynose tetras with discus bucase they are a "canary in the coal mine" if you will, because their red nose fades when water isn't up to par. I do like my black skirt tetras with them too tho. I had neons to begin with

Yeah I'll have to check my lfs tomorrow and see what they got.

It's not as hard as you might think. Find out from your lfs where the discus are from. If they are imported than research plants from that area and stick with those. If they are tank raised than you have more room for change. Discus are hardier than many think depending on conditions they were raised in. Just make sure your ready for weekly water changes which you should do anyway if you go with a planted tank.

Yeah I do weekly water changes on 4 tanks. Sometimes bi weekly. I'm breeding angel fish currently and When the pair now has their fry that take will get water changes like its my Job. So I'm not worried about that.

I have an planted discus tank.

I have temp at 85f to 87f and I have different types of fish and plants. I have about 50 cardinal tetras with my discus and other kinf of fish too

EMAN12 said:
I have an planted discus tank.

I have temp at 85f to 87f and I have different types of fish and plants. I have about 50 cardinal tetras with my discus and other kinf of fish too

How big us your tank ?

EMAN12 said:
Thats big enough for a couple of discus.

A couple? I would think you could put more than a couple in there. If they stuck with a small school of tetras and maybe a bn pleco or something, they could do even 4 or 5 in there as long as water quality was kept good.

Well if he only puts discus and and a few other kind of fish then yea he can have more.

I only keep 3 discus because I have

50 cardinal tetras

10 endlers

11 kuhli loaches

7 flying fox

7 cory cats

4 cherry barbs

4 bettas

2 clown loaches

My tank is over stocked.

Back
Top Bottom