Planted discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Discus are fish shaped like angel fish, which i have, and i know that angel fish like things like jungle val, swords, hair grass.
But also where are you thinking of placing them? Background? Midground? Foreground? Generally larger things go in the back, which i presume you couldve guessed or already know.
If i was you i ( depending on your tank size, hopefully its large:) ) some jungle val, tiger lotus, some kindof sword, rotela, madagascar lace. Etc. things with big leaves, and some other midground and foreground plants.
The shop i work at keeps swords stocked in ours generally with anubias on driftwood and jungle val in the back parameters of the tank.

That depends a lot on your fish stock and lighting and how many plants you have.
The plants i listed are generally hardy and easy to medium difficulty to care for! With a well balanced tank you shouldnt need C02 but its always good to have it, if you really want to watch your plants grow C02 will help.
But also with generally hardy plants, as stated before, you might rather try dosing your tank with liquid C02 or a combination of that and many other variety of supplements. I am not very well versed in other supplements though:/ ive heard good things about metercide (note spelling is incorrect) 14 but cant vouche for it myself

Ok well ill probably leave the co2 then see how it goes to start with I was going to add some purigen would this take out all the good stuff for the plants?

Purgen does not remove ferts from the water if any are added. The plants you can grow are based on lighting you have. What type lighting and bulbs are you using? Low light plants don't need CO2 but can benefit from a liquid carbon. I just wouldn't high dose liquid carbon (Excel, Metricide 14, API CO2 Booster) with Discus. Also low light plant still need some type of ferts. All swords, crypts, wisteria, and bulb plants need to have root tabs as they are heavy root feeders.

What size tank? I am also assuming the bulbs are T8's? Or do you have T5HO's or something else?

T8's would be low lighting. You could grow most val's (they are often sensitive to liquid carbons), swords, crypts, water sprite, pennywort, along with anubia's, java fern's, and bolbitus for tying onto rocks and driftwood.

Liquid carbons such as Metricide 14 and Excel is fine for discus. I just do not suggest using them at doses above 1ml for every 10g daily. When keeping discus in a planted tank you have to find a good balance for both plants and fish.

Back
Top Bottom