Planted Discus Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonsong

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,

Well here it is...I plan on starting a 90 planted discus tank! Heres where I am at...

Standard size 90 gallon
Coralife Aqualight pro metal halides (Total 500 watts)
Fluval FX5 canister filter
Two 300 watt Visi-therm heaters
Powerheads,timers,ect.,ect.

And Im just wondering if this is going to be a good set up? Is there any thing you can recomend...or point me in the right direction. I have a book on discus and planted aquarium and one on both together. But any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a million guys! :D

Lemonsong said:
Coralife Aqualight pro metal halides (Total 500 watts)

A bit strong, isn't it? I put 520W on a 75G, and trying to keep the nutrients in balance near impossible, as I don't have the extra time. Everything kept dropping out. It was like trying to jump into a NASCAR during the middle of the race. But what you can do with all that light is to raise and lower the height til you get a good balance. Then it won't be so bad.

unless they are full grown discus then it will be hard to grow them out in a planted tank as they make such a mess. Check out simplydiscus.com and ask about bare bottem tanks. Once you grown them out then you can go for planted tank, you have to do w/c alot and keep pristine water conditions

Back
Top Bottom