Planted FW newbie! Looking for advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clown Monarch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Over the past few months I have been scheming on how to set up a 44 gal pentagon as a reef tank. It's very difficult because of the shape (no room for a wet/dry tank underneath, fits in the corner so there's no room for a HOB skimmer, lighting is a pain. I'm starting to lean towards it being a planted FW tank. It seems to be much better suited for this (it's tall rather than wide and makes a beautiful show tank).

I must admit I'm leaning this way to save money too. I can save about $500 in liverock and another $500 in livestock. What I have already spent time and money on is a homemade hood with a 250w MH lamp and this is where my question comes in. Will a 250w 14000k MH lamp function well for a planted tank?

Should a planted tank be brackish?

the bulb isn't ideal. You want more of a 6000k-10000k bulb. 6700K is probably the most used K temp for a plant bulb.

And as for brackish...not really. Many plants will not tolerate salt very well at all. It can be done, but you'll need to research the plants first.
Also, that much light, CO2 injection will be mandatory, and I'd go pressurized on a tank that size. DIY could work but it will be a hassle to keep optimal CO2 levels.

Yes, I'm reading about co2 systems now. How much would a pressurized system cost, roughly?

Also, how does this Hagen canister CO2 system work? I think you fill the tank with sugar or yeast or something. Does th pressure from the produced CO2 simply drip into the tank or something?

The Hagen unit is basically a slick container for your DIY mix, and for this size tank, like Malkore said, it would be very hard to keep your CO2 levels up. Those things are great for 10-15 gallon tanks.

Pressurized CO2 will probably run you ~$250 but maybe less (great deals to be had at aquariumplant.com currently on CO2 equipment).

I am a broken record, I know, but anyone contemplating CO2 needs to test their water for KH and make sure there is adequate buffering in the water to maintain a stable pH in the presence of CO2. 3-4 degrees is the minimum, or you will have dangerous pH swings that will kill your fish.

I just realized most people reading this thread probably don't even know what a "record" is. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom