Planted Predator Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
US Natives are apparently illegal in Texas... That being said I could probably go fishing, but I'm just not that worried about it.

I think I'm going to stick with my oscar, bichir set-up and add a false gar and a catfish. Anyone have a catfish they could suggest that would be plant and oscar safe?

if u pay for the flat rate shipment ill give u mine and a 12+ inch plecos

the plecos its good with plants i just dont want him anymore and also im want to get rf of my pictus cus i want some neon tetra and he will eventually eat them

ah cool.. he might be a little big for my bichir though... it's only about 2.5 inches long.

US Natives are apparently illegal in Texas... That being said I could probably go fishing, but I'm just not that worried about it.

I think I'm going to stick with my oscar, bichir set-up and add a false gar and a catfish. Anyone have a catfish they could suggest that would be plant and oscar safe?

No they aren't. It's perfectly legal to keep texas natives. You just can't put them back and you need a fishing license to take from the waters and you must use legal techniques. All regulations are placed to restrict catch no regulations exist telling you what to do with what you catch.
They have laws making it a felony to release fish that have been kept in captivity for any duration of time back into the wild as well.

If you want good looking texas natives go with some sunfish like pumpkin seed and blue gill. These fish need HUGE tanks though and get very aggressive. All large predators get very very big. If you eat other fish you want to be bigger than your neighbor...

OK.. thanks for the info. I was told at the LFS that they can't be sold here... and like I said, I'm not a fisherman... lol. I still think some longears or pumkinseeds would be awesome.

It may have something to do with the retailers in that state. I know in this state that retailers can't buy any fish from anyone without a business license. Either way, if they are legal to possess then you'd just have to find a hobbyist or an online retailer to go through.

I love pumpkinseeds also, they aren't in range here though so I've yet to keep any.

My latest kick has been with dollar sunfish, I did a fish profile not too long ago in the profile section.

I would also like to add that oscars have a well earned reputation for ripping planted tanks to shreds. I've heard of an oscar that would not rest until a java fern put in his tank was destroyed. Oscars have a very different opinion about what they want their tanks to look like, and good luck trying to change your fish's since of home decor.

I'm hoping that if I get the fish young enough, he may forego that bad habit, if not, I have plenty of room and extra tanks. I too have heard that some Oscars have a strong hatred for plants, but I also know of some that are indifferent to the plants in their tank. Hopefully mine will be the latter.

I also will recommend addin the oscar eather last or when other fish have been for a while bcuz I heard that they claim territories and will harrass everythin that gets there

Back
Top Bottom