Planted rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks wonderful and I do like the thick arch of a skyline. Can't wait to get mine going. Keep up the amazingness!

Mrs.H are you talking about the plant you have on the far right and back corner of your tank? looks to me like its pretty shaded over there, that may be why. Kind of looks to me like you need 3 lamps instead of 2

I've done some rearranging since then but yes that's it (back when I had all 5 stems). And I do have 3 lights on my tank. I have my one stem that has made it in more lighted area so I'm hoping that will help.

Mrs.H are you talking about the plant you have on the far right and back corner of your tank? looks to me like its pretty shaded over there, that may be why. Kind of looks to me like you need 3 lamps instead of 2

I'm hoping maybe its just a slow grower for me. I just looked at it today and I can see new leaves, which is an improvement. One question, is dosing seachem trace necessary or would that help? That's one thing I haven't used yet but am considering getting. I also have a java fern that isn't doing so great. It hasn't grown hardly at all since I got it a couple months ago.

Thanks earlybird!
I'm hoping maybe its just a slow grower for me. I just looked at it today and I can see new leaves, which is an improvement. One question, is dosing seachem trace necessary or would that help? That's one thing I haven't used yet but am considering getting. I also have a java fern that isn't doing so great. It hasn't grown hardly at all since I got it a couple months ago.
It is possible its just a slow grower for you, I really don't remember when my plants got so huge. I got them back in November as about 8 2" stems, then I feel like I woke up one day and BOOM overnight its time to trim. MrsH what's your dosing regimen like? Trace elements are definitely needed, but with a smaller number of plants usually seachem's flourish comprehensive has enough trace in it. I think when I had a dual t5 standard output fixture on the tank they grew a lot taller, now with t5HO the grow a little fuller and reproduce more often. They do suck up nitrate a lot for me too though so maybe its a nitrate problem for you and don't realize it. Here's a picture right after I put them in my tank, haha soo tiny! And the tank right after I set it up, pretty crazy transformation don't you guys think?

Attachments

• image-3551086276.jpg
    image-3551086276.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image-2154184125.jpg
    image-2154184125.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 67
Thanks earlybird! It is possible its just a slow grower for you, I really don't remember when my plants got so huge. I got them back in November as about 8 2" stems, then I feel like I woke up one day and BOOM overnight its time to trim. MrsH what's your dosing regimen like? Trace elements are definitely needed, but with a smaller number of plants usually seachem's flourish comprehensive has enough trace in it. I think when I had a dual t5 standard output fixture on the tank they grew a lot taller, now with t5HO the grow a little fuller and reproduce more often. They do suck up nitrate a lot for me too though so maybe its a nitrate problem for you and don't realize it. Here's a picture right after I put them in my tank, haha soo tiny! And the tank right after I set it up, pretty crazy transformation don't you guys think?

I don't always remember to do it as per the directions (co2 says everyday and the NPK pack I have doesn't have a specific timeline) I try and do atleast twice a week on the NPK pack and I try and do everyday with the co2, sometimes it's every other day with the co2. Right now my plant list consists of: one mother amazon sword and 4 daughter swords (I have the daughters planted in couples so, I'm hoping, they will grow together and make a 'bushier' sword, multiple crypt parva (have it spaced out in a checkerboard formation hoping it may spread and form somewhat of a carpet; it hasn't gotten any taller than a few inches so far), a small crypt lutea, the java fern, a small crypt balansae, 5-6 stems of rotala rotundifolia (soon to be more) and the solo stem of hygro temple. I have an ech. Ozelot red and crypt wendtii red and 2 saggataria chilenesis on the way that should be here end of the week. To give you an idea of how many plants I have here's a link to my tank:

http://m1282.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/holcomb2904/1366245959_zpsc17e3397.jpg.html?o=0

One of the 'couple' daughter amazon sword is the tallish (tallest out of all the crypt parva around it) plant in the far right back corner, all the other little plants around it is the crypt parva, I have another daughter sword 'couple' behind the piece of wood I have propped up against the rock pile, and the rotala rotundifolia is at the very back to the right of the mother amazon sword.

I see, I like your tank a lot! Would look even better with a painted background! Plants look pretty good though. If you look at my albums in my AA profile there is a spreadsheet I created for the seachem's line of liquid ferts, breaks it down into what to dose every day of the week and how much to dose per 10 gallons, might help you with following a routine. Plants like stability as much as our fish do, it's just usually not life or death with plants

I see, I like your tank a lot! Would look even better with a painted background! Plants look pretty good though. If you look at my albums in my AA profile there is a spreadsheet I created for the seachem's line of liquid ferts, breaks it down into what to dose every day of the week and how much to dose per 10 gallons, might help you with following a routine. Plants like stability as much as our fish do, it's just usually not life or death with plants

Everyone says that about a background. I'm hoping that I won't need one once my plants all come in, I know the swords will make up most of the background. I'm just waiting for the other two daughter swords to grow, the one in the back right corner is growing pretty steadily.

That's true, that was my hopes too, but with the background plants I chose there were still some spaces here and there and I didn't like it, that's why I went with a Forrest green paint instead of black or blue. Tank looks good though, I'll be excited to see what you do with it in the future

That's true, that was my hopes too, but with the background plants I chose there were still some spaces here and there and I didn't like it, that's why I went with a Forrest green paint instead of black or blue. Tank looks good though, I'll be excited to see what you do with it in the future

Also I'm hoping I won't have to mess with a background because of my tank already being set up and I've read painting in between the tank and wall is a pain the butt. Also Im short with short arms and with it being a 55g the middle might be a little difficult for me to reach lol.

So its been almost two weeks so I thought I'd give a little update on how things are going so far. Everything has been doing really well and pearls beautifully every day which I love watching. The rotala indica has added about 4 inches or so of new growth, the wisteria that I cut down from 14" to about 3" has added about 3-4" of growth, i added some christmas moss and the willow moss is finally rebounding from awful shipment and the hydro is happy, its always happy haha. The only thing I'm going to have to work on is the walichii, its added about 1-2" of growth which I'm thrilled about but isn't quite as red/brown as it was when I bought it, I'll work on it though. I replaced the ribbed hoses for vinyl ones on the 406 and I added two new pieces of DW to try and break up the even placement of the others, don't pay attention to their placements for now, just trying to get them water logged. All the fish seem to love the extra space and I get to see them much more, the angels really like it they've been spawning about every two weeks. Anyway, I'll stop rambling and attach so pictures. Feel free to tell me to shut up haha

Attachments

• image-4005248067.jpg
    image-4005248067.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3348955875.jpg
    image-3348955875.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 73
  • image-2772995612.jpg
    image-2772995612.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1540293908.jpg
    image-1540293908.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 73
  • image-2829832716.jpg
    image-2829832716.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 63
  • image-1572968027.jpg
    image-1572968027.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
That's just insane! Love the scape! How you like a hill effect. Sides lower then the center, good job there ;)

Got that down pat... I say you NAILED it!!! Very very good job! I know I'm a newbie to planted but I know a GREAT scape when I see one and you my friend have a beautifully scaped tank!!

Thank you! I'm really surprised with the indica, didn't even realize how much it grew until I looked back at pictures. I've got some different ideas in my head for when I get to trim and replant in the future. Over all I'm pretty happy with the tank right now. Just need to finish off this BBA that I can't seem to get completely rid of, its a shame too, the bba on my hollow log decoration looks pretty cool

Back
Top Bottom