Planted tank algae problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellylake01

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok so i have a 30g planted tank and i have had algae issues in the past and i think they are starting up again, at this point i have A LOT of mixed info on what to do im pretty sure its hair algae. Its not too bad right now but my setup is new, i just switched form a 20g long to the 30g about 2 weeks ago.

Plants are all doing great, but i really hate algae growing on the leaves. I have tried a couple of commercial chemicals by tetra but they did nothing to the algae problem, eventually i left the lights off for a couple of weeks and removed the problem leaves and scrubbed the decor i REALLY don't want to do that again. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Some quick questions:

What kind of light (and not WPG)?
Ferts?
CO2?

What kind of algae? Picture will help if you're not sure of the type.

4 T5 lights
i plan on using aquarium plant spikes for fertilizer, but i have yet to use any in this tank
the only co2 is coming from the fish, i plan on a diy with brewers yeast but it seems like overkill right now
my cam is out of commotion for now ill post pics when its fixed

LOVE your quote very funny

If those are T5HO, then you have a ton of light on that tank. The lack of ferts and CO2 are only compounding that problem.

no they are not high output lights just normal t5 and sorry no pics my cam is DOA until further notice, but im almost positive its hair algae, so i guess what do i do to to fix this?

kellylake01 said:
no they are not high output lights just normal t5 and sorry no pics my cam is DOA until further notice, but im almost positive its hair algae, so i guess what do i do to to fix this?

But still, 4 to is a substantial amount of light for such a small tank. Try a DOY co2 option to see if it helps combat the outbreak of hair algae.

Why worry about it leaking into your room? I google the toxicity of a DIY co2 system leaking into a room and the amount a system can produce over night doesn't even equate to another person being in the room.

As I have said before in a previous thread
"Algae needs Nitrogen, phosphate, potassium, and light to survive. So keep things in check and you can get rid of the algae problem. Never use a chemical to treat algae problem unless its your last reort. Also remeber algaecides are harmful to invertabrates, scaleless fish and plants. I used "jungle" algae be gone one time to get rid of 100% overgrown algea on my cave rocks. 2 weeks later and 2 water changes it was all gone. But it killed 90% of my Java moss which was attached to a peice of driftwood. I keept the dose below the recomendation it worked but I feel bad cause it probally was stressing out the fish with the chemical also. I then made sure not to overfeed my fish and I have not had an algae probelm since and that was 3 and a half months ago."

as of right now they are on a 14 on, 10 off, and i agree, as far as chemicals i do my best to avoid using them.

maybe the large amount of time you have on is an issue, i had mine on for 12 hrs on 12 off and I had major alge issues. Dropped to 8 hours now after a blackout and no issues. Good luck ;)

I had an algae bloom a month or do ago and like others here, after a blackout, I reduced the lights to being on for 8 hours a day and that helped a lot.

im getting a timer on friday and i have added co2, as far as ferts im looing further into what i need as far as my plants go

I know that all depends on the type of plants you have, I personally dose flourish one a week the day after a water change and have used root tabs for my crypts

Atxpunx said:
Why worry about it leaking into your room? I google the toxicity of a DIY co2 system leaking into a room and the amount a system can produce over night doesn't even equate to another person being in the room.

Depending on your mix it can produce alot of co2. If your hose coming from bottle to tank fell out releasing co2.

Some rooms in a house can have very little air circulation with a door closed. Some rooms have excellent air circulation.

I have pressurized CO2 in my bedroom and I don't even think twice about it. It's hard enough to kill FISH with a DIY CO2 system, much less humans.

Also remember that CO2 is heavier than air and will sink down. Think of how fog from a fog machine sticks to the floor.

Back
Top Bottom