Planted tank and direct sunlight... possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaryBeth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, and thank you so much for your time.
I am new to aquarium keeping, but have been doing so much research to attempt to figure out what is best. However, it is difficult to find clear answers to some questions. I have numbered my questions throughout if you’d like to skip my explanations and get straight to the point, but really any help here is so appreciated.
First, let me tell you the situation of my tank now. The aquarium I purchased is the Top Fin Retreat Five Gallon Aquarium. I purchased it used, but in great condition. I’ve only had it a couple of days, and so far I’ve basically done nothing with it. I have added rocks and a thermometer and that’s it.
This tank comes with a pump/filter (I had to purchase new cartridges and they should be coming in tomorrow, hopefully they’re the right size/type/whatever as I couldn’t find that anywhere online either) and it came with a light for the top.
That being said, I want to start just with some plants in my tank. So my first question is, (1) are plants able to live without also having fish in the tank?
Also, I plan to and am set on keeping my tank in the window sill. Aesthetic is essential here, as I have a beautiful view out this window that I do not want it blocking. Thus, I’m really not a fan of the light on the top.
In this window, the tank will receive basically constant direct sunlight. So, (2) is a light even necessary to have when there is sunlight? I know the main issues with direct sunlight are algae and temperature. I’m just baffled that I can’t find solutions to these issues. (3) Are there not things you can put in the tank to eat the algae and a way to cool a tank?
I mainly worry about the temperature issue, as I do live in Florida where it is quite hot. Right now it is evening, I did just set up the tank, but the thermometer is reading 84 F. (4) Can anyone tell me a way to cool the tank (besides these ugly fans that go on the top) for when I do decide to put fish in?
What I have put in the bottom of my tank are a bit larger sort of rocks/gravel. (5) Are there any plants that will grow in this alone, or do I need to add some sort of soil? (6) If I don’t need to add soil, what kinds of plants can I grow without? (7) If I do, what kind of soil should I use?
(8) If I am going to be growing live plants in my tank, do I also need an aerator? (9) Is there any other equipment I should consider?
(10)I would LOVE to create one of those “trees” with wood and moss, so any tips on that would also be great.
(11) Should I go ahead and add some snails or something for algae control?

I have the same issue with a tank near a window. Extra light won't be necessary. Algae can be removed from the glass with a magnetic algae scrubber. However algae will also grow on your plants. It's easy to get off of broad leafed plants with your fingers when you are cleaning the tank but narrow leaves are harder. You can try snails like mystery or nerites.

Hi, plants can live without fish - just eventually will run out of nutrients (nitrates from fish waste and phosphate from fish food / waste). These could be dosed though.

I’d try setting up in cool part of house. Over summer here my tank has sat at those temperatures fairly fine so fish can adapt (need good surface water flow for aeration).

Imo wary of direct sunlight. High / long periods of light ime cause algae and generally best to control light period / intensity rather than sunlight (which I find just brings on algae). I’d put tank backing on back and sides. A UV filter would help as also the magnetic scrubber mentioned above but once algae on plants it’s a big battle to get rid of it as means plant defences compromised. Some thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom