Planted tank beginner.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExoticAquarist

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 29 gallon tall aquarium, with plastic plants. I hate the look of them and they are only in there because the fish need a place to hide. I have 1 anubias nana and it's doing well. I don't have a planted tank substrate, only gravel with a thin layer of sand on top. I've put together a list of plants i have researched and that seem to be hardy enough for my tank. Heres the list:

1: more anubias
2:java moss
3:cryptocorynes
4:water sprite
5:hornwort
6:java moss
7:dwarf hairgrass
8:dwarf baby tears
9:pygmy chain sword
10:water wisteria
Does this list sound good? I might get some fertilizers, but i don't know if it is necessary because I have a piece of driftwood that has been starting to rot and lower the pH. Are there any other plants you recommend? Thanks!

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

I would recommend using floating plants with Java moss if the tank is highly lit. If not just start with Java moss and grow it on driftwood. Add extra plants once you feel more confident. Also don't use silver dollars with plants as they tear them up.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't have silver dollars. I think i might go with more anubias, some java moss, and some water sprite. Thanks!

Dwarf hairgrass and baby tears need co2 to grow properly. They will most definitely die off without it.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

It'd look for Christmas or willow Moss because what I keep hearing is that Java moss gets out of control and spreads like wildfire. You can leave it on a rock outside for a year and put it back in the tank only for it to grow back completely and take over the tank all over again. It's a plant you can't get rid off unless you start over. But Christmas and willow moss grow slower so you can manage it much more easily.

List looks good minus the the dwarf baby tears and dwarf hair grass. It's ok we all try to grow it but only those with high efficient set ups really have success there. You'll need ferts for the crypts as well just a root tab underneath a few. They're definitely one of my favorite plants.

Cool! I've always wanted Christmas moss, but I thought it was hard. Change of plans then. I saw a cool shrimp tank where a guy tore apart a couple moss balls and put it on the wood. It looked real cool and moss balls are almost impossible to kill.

Back
Top Bottom