Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2008, 06:12 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

How about this one for a 5g??
Premium Quality Lighting : CFL / Screw-in / Item 80320 details:

Old 08-06-2008, 06:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2betas View Post

Notice the color rating there, 3500k. You want one anywhere from 5500k-10,000k. Here is the lightbulbs like the ones I use over my ten gallon shrimp tank. Walmart.com - Always Low Prices!
That website does not give the k rating but IIRC it is around 8500k.

Note that price is for a 6 pack of them. You can find the 2 packs for about $6ish

Old 08-06-2008, 06:49 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feel silly now because I had one of these in another light fixture in my house:
SYLVANIA LIGHTING 13W/CF/MTWIST/C "DULUX EL" MINI FLUORESCENT BULB 13WATT
and I just put it in my 5g tank and it lit it up tremendously. The tank I have is hexagon and tall not wide. Wouldn't 3000K be okay for a 5g tank? It is amazing how much that one little bulb lit up that 5g tank....
Old 08-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tifta
Quote:
I feel silly now because I had one of these in another light fixture in my house:
and I just put it in my 5g tank and it lit it up tremendously. The tank I have is hexagon and tall not wide. Wouldn't 3000K be okay for a 5g tank? It is amazing how much that one little bulb lit up that 5g tank....
I got a great light on my hexagon right now, I forgot what type it is but the plants in the tank are so green. I got it at petsmart, it's a fluorescent bulb. Also if you put a sponge on the end of the intake tube it comes out of the filter better. I don't know why, but it does.

Tifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok...another light question.....I just got a 5g tank to keep as a QT tank for adding fish to my 29g. The light in my 5g is labeled 15W, but it is SO dim. I, of course, want to keep live plants in there as well. What bulb should I switch to that want overdo the wattage recommended for that socket? Thanks in advance guys....

Would this work: FEIT ELECTRIC BPESL315 TRIPLE TUBE FLOURESCENT BULB 15W SOFT WHITE

Sorry for the hijack Lindsay....will not do it again....
15W is how much energy is required to run that bulb. It tells little about how bright the bulb is. Intensity is measured in lumens among other things. That's what I was saying earlier about getting a more energy efficient bulb (uses less wattage) that is just about as bright (lumens).

Quote:
3000K is the temperature of the bulb. Plants can only use a certain spectrum/temperature of light...the rest is basically junk for them. I'd look for something in the 5000-10,000K range as suggested. Smaller bulbs can have the same spectrum as large bulbs but that doesn't mean that plants can use them. Take actinics for exapmle. They are basically worthless for plants but they do show colors of fish better than other lighting. That's why you see actinics in SW setups and not FW.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs6749 View Post
3000K is the temperature of the bulb. Plants can only use a certain spectrum/temperature of light...the rest is basically junk for them. I'd look for something in the 5000-10,000K range as suggested. Smaller bulbs can have the same spectrum as large bulbs but that doesn't mean that plants can use them. Take actinics for exapmle. They are basically worthless for plants but they do show colors of fish better than other lighting. That's why you see actinics in SW setups and not FW.
Just to clarify a bit. While 3000K is outside of the recommended range for plants, it will still be of some benefit to plants just a bit less likely to have peaks in the right ranges. The color will also be awefully yellowish in appearance. A bulb that is in the 5000K-10000K is most likely to be beneficial to plant growth and make them look good.

Actinics aren't just for show in SW aquariums, they actually benefit the corals which need more light in the blue range due to their water depth in the wild.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's why I said "basically worthless". It would be much better IMO to go with something in the 5000-10,000K range to get the most out of the bulb.

I thought I remember hearing something about actinics being good for corals but I couldn't remember...not really into SW setups. Makes sense that longer wavelengths penetrate the water more deeply though.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Whoa! Thanks for all of the good information! And new2betas, don't worry about hijacking...your questions are probably things I haven't yet thought of so I really appreciate all the help.

The aquarium I have is: Eclipse System 3 Aquarium by Marineland - Aquariums - Fish - PetSmart
and all it says is "9 Fluorescent Lamp" for the lighting section with a product number of "T5-6W". On this website, Eclipse System 3 they say that the lighting is "9" full spectrum, Natural Daylight fluorescent lamp that is ideal for plant growth".

Other than that, I am having a hard time figuring out the color rating.

To neilanh, all I want to do is to have the proper plants for the cherry shrimp to thrive and be happy. It looks like I should get java moss.

Also, the aquarium dimensions are: 13" long x 7" wide x 11" high. Again, thanks for all of the advice. I love this forum!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I am right daylight bulbs are around 10,000K and you should be fine IMO. The lighting should be sufficient as well since you are looking at mainly java moss. Other good plants may be dwarf sag, anubias barteri var. nana, smaller crypts, java fern, etc. I'd keep to "medium light" plants and you should be fine.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most of the "daylight" bulbs I see are either 5000K or 6500K

Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherry, cherry shrimp, plant, planted, planted tank, rim, shrimp, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com