Planted tank friendly discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking about high tech, low tech and no water change planted tanks. There are so many ways of doing things and some prefer to do it one way and some prefer to do it another. Personally the higher tech injected CO2 high light tanks don't appeal to me. I don't think I will ever run one. Although they can look spectacular I like the thought of providing more organic means of fertiliser and letting the plants thrash it out. I have nothing against high tech tanks with injected co2 or those who choose to do it this way I was just wondering why higher tech tanks are more popular and why there are so little "NPT's" on the forum. Perhaps people have both I don't know.

I would like to hear people's thoughts on why they choose to go the planted route they choose and the pros and cons in their own opinions or how you ended up doing it the way you do now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

After having planted tanks, it's hard not to have one. I look at real plants and it's satisfying, then look back at my non planted tanks and just feel they are lacking. Of course the obvious exceptions like African cichlids will prevent the tank from staying planted for long so you get creative with fake ones to compensate.

I think people like them so much for the thrill of saying "yes that's real plants in there" vs the colorful gravel and decor/fake plants. We take pride in our accomplishments and my planted tank is certainly something I take pride in because of al the work put into it.

Caleb

After having planted tanks, it's hard not to have one. I look at real plants and it's satisfying, then look back at my non planted tanks and just feel they are lacking. Of course the obvious exceptions like African cichlids will prevent the tank from staying planted for long so you get creative with fake ones to compensate.

I think people like them so much for the thrill of saying "yes that's real plants in there" vs the colorful gravel and decor/fake plants. We take pride in our accomplishments and my planted tank is certainly something I take pride in because of al the work put into it.

Caleb

Thanks Caleb. What are your methods you use to achieve your desired look and why did you opt to go down this path?

My planted tank is low tech. Just a 6500K lighting with added root tabs for the Rotala and rosette sword. The other plants just absorb the water column.
I use this method because it's cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

After running high light, high tech tanks.. my future setups will rely more on stable co2 and good substrate than flooding it with too much light. It's not worth the constant attention and toil imo. I'm happy with steady, healthy growth vs algae and daily trimmings

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

After running high light, high tech tanks.. my future setups will rely more on stable co2 and good substrate than flooding it with too much light. It's not worth the constant attention and toil imo. I'm happy with steady, healthy growth vs algae and daily trimmings

What do you have in mind for substrate? What will your new set up be like exactly and is the constant attention and trimming the only negative?

Cal, ever tried injecting co2 in a low-light tank? You might be surprised at the difference it makes- faster growth (but still easy to manage), larger leaves, with the end result looking much more "lush" in general. People equate co2 with high-light, but really any planted tank can benefit greatly from co2. I'm with brookster, high-light is overrated. I personally prefer a more subdued look for two reasons- it's so much easier to manage, plus it's not so blinding to look at. I remember reading somewhere that some people were a bit surprised to find out that those stunning ADA aquascapes actually utilize a low-medium to medium PAR at most.

Thanks Caleb. What are your methods you use to achieve your desired look and why did you opt to go down this path?

For me personally I never really liked the pink gravel and sunken ship look... I keep terrestrial plants as well so I find real plants more aesthetically pleasing in my eyes whether on land or underwater.

To achieve the look I have now??

Lots of moving stuff around.. 9 months(75g planted started in January) and can't say I'm 100% satisfied yet. That's just me though, I'll forever toy with my tanks and move things

Caleb

What do you have in mind for substrate? What will your new set up be like exactly and is the constant attention and trimming the only negative?

Substrate will consist of some clay tabs and osmocote on very bottom, aquasoil, flourite, black sand on top. Hope the flourite grabs all the extra goodies from the aquasoil and ferts, holds it longer for plants to feed from. Should just use dirt but I don't want the mess. It's not that it's a negative, if I had one tank I'd be in it 110%, i want to keep a few tanks, leaving me over extended on just one will take away from my attention/enjoyment of the other. I've decided that I no longer want to see algae on anything. High light just makes that far far more difficult, the slightest I'm balance and you're greening in 24 hrs.

Cal, ever tried injecting co2 in a low-light tank? You might be surprised at the difference it makes- faster growth (but still easy to manage), larger leaves, with the end result looking much more "lush" in general. People equate co2 with high-light, but really any planted tank can benefit greatly from co2. I'm with brookster, high-light is overrated. I personally prefer a more subdued look for two reasons- it's so much easier to manage, plus it's not so blinding to look at. I remember reading somewhere that some people were a bit surprised to find out that those stunning ADA aquascapes actually utilize a low-medium to medium PAR at most.

It sound strange but I want to be able to achieve a stable and balanced aquarium without 'handing' the plants everything they need. I want to try to let the fish feed the plants with the carbon and other nutrients coming from a more natural soil substrate. My next tank has soil 'semi-mineralised', clay and crushed coral.

Substrate will consist of some clay tabs and osmocote on very bottom, aquasoil, flourite, black sand on top. Hope the flourite grabs all the extra goodies from the aquasoil and ferts, holds it longer for plants to feed from. Should just use dirt but I don't want the mess. It's not that it's a negative, if I had one tank I'd be in it 110%, i want to keep a few tanks, leaving me over extended on just one will take away from my attention/enjoyment of the other. I've decided that I no longer want to see algae on anything. High light just makes that far far more difficult, the slightest I'm balance and you're greening in 24 hrs.

I understand what you mean. I have 2 other tanks and was considering tearing one down just to focus on this new project but I've had the fish too long to part. Sounds like you have it all worked out. Are you doing a build thread? I'm considering doing one for this tank even though it's already started.

My planted tank is low tech. Just a 6500K lighting with added root tabs for the Rotala and rosette sword. The other plants just absorb the water column.
I use this method because it's cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What do you use in the water column? Or do you have hard water? Do you still do regular water changes?

I'm going to be converting my high tech tank to a low-ish tech tank (with CO2 injection). I have found high tech tanks to be very time consuming. They are beautiful, but can be ugly if CO2, ferts, and water circulation aren't right.

I got into low and no tech tanks just to prove to myself that it could be done. My first was a Walstad-based 2.5g: dirt capped with a thin layer of gravel, plants, fish, shrimp, snails, no heater/light/filter/ferts, water changes maybe once a month. The biggest issue I had was placement of the tank, and in retrospect I'm glad I started small so it could be moved. It originally got indirect southeast light and it ended up with a moderate algae problem; moved it to a northwest window and everything was fine.

img_3280909_0_9a73cff3e7d0e2d0938836e738e2b2d4.jpg

I recently updated about my 10g jungle here. That tank was originally purchased just to store spare plants and it has a black sand substrate. It's no tech as well. I do a WC every 3-4 weeks or so. Because of the shrimp I do add IAL, alder cones, and cuttlebone.

I think it's a matter of preference, what look a person is aiming for.

I go the planted route because it looks so much better. I get a satisfaction of watching it grow, maintaining them, sprouting them, and just watching the REAL aspect of my planted tanks. I still dont know exactly what defines low/med/high tech tanks. So im not sure which ones i have (a mixture im sure). but my Big Planted tank (big girl as i call it), brings me a ton of relaxtion. Watching the plants sway in the current, seeing my discus & rams hide, play, and spawn in the plants is so satisfying and mellowing. which shows me that they appreciate it as well. Which gives me the overall self nod of doing well with my lil environment. I use 0 Co2 on this one, but its only one of many planted tanks i have. although i only do DIY Co2 on one tank, one of my 20L.

Poppa thats a beutifull tank

I have one planted tank its low tech 4sure i dont do anything to it other then wcs i like it except for the extra cleaning

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1442272156030.jpg
    1442272156030.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 71
I go the planted route because it looks so much better. I get a satisfaction of watching it grow, maintaining them, sprouting them, and just watching the REAL aspect of my planted tanks. I still dont know exactly what defines low/med/high tech tanks. So im not sure which ones i have (a mixture im sure). but my Big Planted tank (big girl as i call it), brings me a ton of relaxtion. Watching the plants sway in the current, seeing my discus & rams hide, play, and spawn in the plants is so satisfying and mellowing. which shows me that they appreciate it as well. Which gives me the overall self nod of doing well with my lil environment. I use 0 Co2 on this one, but its only one of many planted tanks i have. although i only do DIY Co2 on one tank, one of my 20L.

Sweet tank Poppa!

Is that lush growth staur repens at the bottom? Without co2??? Teach me your ways!!

Poppa thats a beutifull tank

I have one planted tank its low tech 4sure i dont do anything to it other then wcs i like it except for the extra cleaning

Thanks, i appreciate it. Im diggin the carpet you got goin on there? What plant is your carpet? Darkside has cookies..... Im totally in. Darned munchies.

It's all from petsmart not sure what it all is.... n yes the darkside always wins in recruitment drives we have cookies and relaxed blaster laws

It's all from petsmart not sure what it all is.... n yes the darkside always wins in recruitment drives we have cookies and relaxed blaster laws

I can get some adult beverage infused baked goodies for the next dark side meeting lol

Poppa i wouldn't change your big girl. Looks great without co2

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom