Planted tank growth.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SFAquariums1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi
I tried to post this in the planted tank section but for whatever reason te app wouldn't let me......

I have had a planted tank set up for about 5 months now and it's thriving. No issues whatsoever. This morning I noticed a little black growth on the tip of one of the leafs on my plant. It's only one plant and one leaf. Any ideas?

I've seen pictures of it and this looks nothing like it though...... It looks like the edge of the one leaf turned black and it's a little fuzzy

That is exactly how it looks when it starts. Are you using CO2 or dosing glut? How many hours of light and what type?

If you see a little now, you will see more later unless you get it under control (I know from experience on this, unfortunately). To start, you might try turning off your filter for about 15 minutes in the morning before your lights come on, then squirt glut (Excel, API CO2 Booster, etc) directly on it with the amount recommended for you tank size. After three days of this, it may die away. You still need to figure out what needs to change to keep it from coming back.

Yes it sounds like that start of bba. It will spread quick if not taken care of.

It's a 55 gallon with a 4 foot flourescent fixture over the top. Lights come on at 8am until noon and then again from 4 until 8. I am not dosing or using co2 however I am ordering a co2 setup from foster and smith. My curiosity is in the months that I have had this tank setup. I have not changed any of the variables such as light or filtration. Nor have I added any plants. The plants (except for that one leaf) look incredible and are flourishing. Consistent growth. Is it normal for this to start out of the blue?

Back
Top Bottom