Planted tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zemerys

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i have a 20 gal planted tank with cheap looking anubias, amaz swords and cabomba. Then some water caterpillar moths ate all of them. Now i have a tank that looks like it underwent deforestation.

So i want to start anew.

1.) how do i prepare the plants to kill eggs or creepy crawlies in it without killing them or poisoning the tank? Apart from moths i also got dragonfly larvae which endangered my shrimps.

2.) i have an 8 watt light...and i heard the watt per galon but as i asked the people in the hardware store... Increasing the watts will increase the lights length . I saw an 18 watt light and man its like 3 feet long. Is this true? Are there 20 watt light thatl fit my tank perfectly?

3.) if none, can a desk lamp be used for a 20 gal tank? This desk lamp has a 10 watt daylight led.

4.) im planning on doing dirt (leaf mold, compost, etc) covered with sand... Is this advisable at all? Im planning on doing same plants, lots of amazon swords, anubias, hornworts, cabomba.

5.) i have lots of xmas moss. Can i make that my carpet? Seems so hard maybe just tie them to rock slates?

6.) what other plants dyu suggest?

Any response is much much appreciated. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So i have a 20 gal planted tank with cheap looking anubias, amaz swords and cabomba. Then some water caterpillar moths ate all of them. Now i have a tank that looks like it underwent deforestation.

So i want to start anew.

1.) how do i prepare the plants to kill eggs or creepy crawlies in it without killing them or poisoning the tank? Apart from moths i also got dragonfly larvae which endangered my shrimps.

2.) i have an 8 watt light...and i heard the watt per galon but as i asked the people in the hardware store... Increasing the watts will increase the lights length . I saw an 18 watt light and man its like 3 feet long. Is this true? Are there 20 watt light thatl fit my tank perfectly?

3.) if none, can a desk lamp be used for a 20 gal tank? This desk lamp has a 10 watt daylight led.

4.) im planning on doing dirt (leaf mold, compost, etc) covered with sand... Is this advisable at all? Im planning on doing same plants, lots of amazon swords, anubias, hornworts, cabomba.

5.) i have lots of xmas moss. Can i make that my carpet? Seems so hard maybe just tie them to rock slates?

2-3, what light fixture do you have now? Knowing that will go a long way towards helping sort out lighting.

4, do it! Make sure you soak and work the soil over a few days to work out air pockets which can hold onto nasty stuff and basically nuke your tank when it breaks loose.

5, superglue, man, superglue. Or check out YouTube for different how-tos. Seeing it done different ways will help you decide what you want to do.

6, what is currently, and do you plan to have, in that tank?

I'm having trouble with drain moth larva and planteria the worms are so ugly! I have no idea what to do!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So i want to start anew.

1. Dip the in a hydrogen peroxide mixture. I believe 1:2 peroxide to water should work. You can also use a spray bottle and spray the plants

2. Need more info

3. Yes a desk lamp can work

4. That mixture should work, but I'm not a dirt person

5. You can get some stainless steel mesh and tie the moss to that. The moss will cover the mesh giving you the carpet effect

6. Crypt species and java fern are two easy plants for beginners

I'm having trouble with drain moth larva and planteria the worms are so ugly! I have no idea what to do!

What you can do is start your own thread and don't hijack other peoples threads with questions irrelevant to the OP.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What you can do is start your own thread and don't hijack other peoples threads with questions irrelevant to the OP.

Umm pretty sure there is a subject of worms on here! And wasn't hijacking just making a conversation! That was very rude! And excuse me I have already started a thread! Why don't you quiet being rude and stick to the subject matter! I wast even talking to you! Thanks!! So tired of people being so rude on here I see it more and more everyday not just to me but alot of people! I personally think it's driving people away

The watt per gallon rule is a bit outdated TBH. It depends a lot on the type of lighting and the height of the tank.

Is this a 20 gallon long or tall? A CFL would work well in a desk lamp.

Crypts are very easy.

+1 on the stainless steel moss.

@ the people arguing: PM each other instead of hijacking a thread by accusing each other of hijacking.

2-3, what light fixture do you have now? Knowing that will go a long way towards helping sort out lighting.

-sorry for the noobish question.... How do i know what type of light fixture i have?

4, do it! Make sure you soak and work the soil over a few days to work out air pockets which can hold onto nasty stuff and basically nuke your tank when it breaks loose.

- okay, havent thought of that. I thot i cud just dump em in there and cover with sand. Thanks for the info.

5, superglue, man, superglue. Or check out YouTube for different how-tos. Seeing it done different ways will help you decide what you want to do.

-i tried youtube but i only sAw tying to a rock. But i think ill do the stainless mesh thing.

6, what is currently, and do you plan to have, in that tank?

-swords amazon, cabomba, anubias, java moss, i plan to have the same things.

Im not sure if thats the one i have. My larva here are like green hairy caterpillars and they eat like cows. My poor plants didnt survive them. And now theyre dying off too cz they no longer have anything to eat.

Got some worms in my shrimp tank but ever since i put my baby betas there its all clean. Hehe

1. Dip the in a hydrogen peroxide mixture. I believe 1:2 peroxide to water should work. You can also use a spray bottle and spray the plants

- for how long shld i dip the plants in? I want every parasite to be gone...

2. Need more info

-sorry I don't know how to know my light fixture. Can a pic help?

3. Yes a desk lamp can work

4. That mixture should work, but I'm not a dirt person

5. You can get some stainless steel mesh and tie the moss to that. The moss will cover the mesh giving you the carpet effect

6. Crypt species and java fern are two easy plants for beginners

Its a 20 galon long...

-ill try to find crypts around here.

The watt per gallon rule is a bit outdated TBH. It depends a lot on the type of lighting and the height of the tank.

Is this a 20 gallon long or tall? A CFL would work well in a desk lamp.

Crypts are very easy.

+1 on the stainless steel moss.

@ the people arguing: PM each other instead of hijacking a thread by accusing each other of hijacking.

The saying a picture is worth a thousand words is so true! Could we get a picture of your light fixture/labels?

I think 2 9 watt CFL desk lamps would work well to give you low light then. The clip on style lamps looks nice.

If you want to bump up the light in the future buying a 11 or 13 watt CFL would be easy.

A finnex stingray is also a good low light option and looks nice, but doesn't give you any ability to upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The saying a picture is worth a thousand words is so true! Could we get a picture of your light fixture/labels?

Looking at it now, it seems embarassing... But what i bought is some home made light with regular bulb not specifically for tank... It doesnt even have a label on how many watts it is. Doesnt really have a brand.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447498655.791183.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447498684.626709.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447498705.266814.jpg

Yep, that does not look moisture safe. Exposed pin entry slots for starters. Might be okay over a glass top but the design concerns me. The last DIY fixture I setup had water proof end caps with rubber seals and silicone was applied where the end caps joined the support (in this case a canopy). It would have survived a tidal wave.
As for the bulb, perhaps some of the imprinting rubbed off and it is short for "CATALINA"? Not sure. There is a way to determine wattage based on the bulb diameter and length (cannot recall where the chart is for this), assuming it is normal output and not high or very high output (HO/VHO).

Yep, that does not look moisture safe. Exposed pin entry slots for starters. Might be okay over a glass top but the design concerns me. The last DIY fixture I setup had water proof end caps with rubber seals and silicone was applied where the end caps joined the support (in this case a canopy). It would have survived a tidal wave.
As for the bulb, perhaps some of the imprinting rubbed off and it is short for "CATALINA"? Not sure. There is a way to determine wattage based on the bulb diameter and length (cannot recall where the chart is for this), assuming it is normal output and not high or very high output (HO/VHO).

So how can i cover that those pins?

Can i measure the bulb i have and just buy the same size bulbs in the hardware store?

Looking at it now, it seems embarassing... But what i bought is some home made light with regular bulb not specifically for tank... It doesnt even have a label on how many watts it is. Doesnt really have a brand.

View attachment 280642

View attachment 280643

View attachment 280644

Don't worry about it, we all have budgets to work with. :D That being said, getting new bulbs is an option. It doesn't address the safety concerns, though. Maybe Fresh can dig out the one he modded so we can get a look. A Google search should dig up that chart he was talking about well enough.

I was going to suggest using bicycle inner tube, however, that might be a challenge with the design. It could still be used if part of it is cut away (where it is connected to the base). This site has some DYI light pointers. Interestingly, electrical tape at the wire connections is mentioned.
The bulb looks like a T5. Scroll down on this page for charts of tube wattages.

Back
Top Bottom