Planted Tank LED Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently ordered
Flexible Light Strip 300 SMD White LED Ribbon 5 Meter or 16 Feet By Ledwholesalers, 2026wh - Amazon.com
And without realizing it they were 5500-6000K! I will have some left over from my other project and will try putting them on my 7.9 gallon planted tank. I have absolutely no idea how bright these lights are (yet). When I get them I will start to try various things to see if they will work with the plants. Right now the tank has Java Moss, Dwarf Hair grass, and HC. The HC is a bit of an unfair comparison because it is such a demanding plant when it comes to light but we will see! I will post findings here, failure or success. (hopefully success) :popcorn:

I got similar lights for aquarium night lights I got the flexible blue smd3528 and they are very bright my next tank imma order the 5050 crystal white are those the ones you got.

There are many different brands and kinds of these lights. I don't think they are the exact same as the 5050 but I couldn't tell you the difference :) I just so happened to see these and they had good reviews

There are many different brands and kinds of these lights. I don't think they are the exact same as the 5050 but I couldn't tell you the difference :) I just so happened to see these and they had good reviews

So how would one figure out the k temp of the lights

The only reason I know the kelvin rating is that is what the lights are advertised as in the details. You can get a basic idea of kelvin rating by looking at the color of the light. A "warm" light will be a lower kelvin. A "cool" white is generally between 4000-10000. But that is just an estimate.

I am fairly disappointed in the output of the LEDs. I have put 3 strips the length of the original fluval light (6 inches long). If I were to try this again I would order the double led strips (they have 2 LEDs side by side). Don't get me wrong the LEDs work great but just not for an aquarium. I assume if you put enough strips the. They would be bright enough but that will not look very "clean". Back in the florescent bulbs go!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130406_103536.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130406_103536.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 54
  • ForumRunner_20130406_103546.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130406_103546.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom