planted tank light duration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long do you keep your lights on for planted tanks? I've seen a suggested time of 8-12 hours a day, so I have my lights on for 10 hours. All of my lights are on a timer.

20g high: amazon swords, java fern, anubias, crypt, and others (can't remember offhand)

10g: java ferns, java moss

2.5g: java moss

I am starting to see some algae accumulation on the tank walls, so I may cut back to 8-9 hours.

I run for ten hours, it really depends on how the plants are doing and if the algae is getting out of hand.

You could also try a split photo period. I do a 4on/4off/6on with most of my tanks and that seems to help. Also Anacharis is a sponge for excess nutrients, no3, etc. that may be feeding the algae.

it's a 2x39w... without co2 injection... the reason I'm only doing 6 hrs

How is your algae situation? I have had on my 20 g L 2 x 24w and there was algae growth everywhere, just with plants and sand substrate. I cut down to one bulb and everything fine so far. I have no stem plants though.

The split photo period sounds like an interesting idea. I wasn't aware you could do that without messing with your fish's little brains. :lol:

Since I'm running 10 hours now, I may just reduce the length of time they're on. I'll definitely change the time my 10g since it has low tech plants only and I moved some of the java moss to the 2.5g. It's also the only one that's showing more algae growth.

Does cutting back from 10 to 8-9 hours reflect itself on plant growth as well as algae reduction?

I run a 4-3-5 photoperiod, with lights off during the warmest part of the day when no one is home.

I have had no algae to scrape and every week I cut my cabomba to 50% of tank height, and every week it's back to the top of the tank.

I dose Excel a couple of times a week but don't do pressurized CO2.

The only plant that has not done well in my tank is baby dwarf tears...it's alive but has almost no growth w/ medium high light.

Back
Top Bottom