Planted tank myth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karatepig

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've heard that removing carbon pads from filters can help plant growth because the pads remove the nutrients from the water. Has anyone experimented with this or have any experience with it?

Thanks.

I don't use carbon for the reasons you mentioned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I almost reported this thread cause I'm soooo drunk. Lol

Remove carbon as soon as possible because it will remove everything from the tank.
I just our in carbon due to some bad reaction with some root tabs.
Use it until you need it then take it out

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wait so do you just not have any pads or do you remove the carbon from the pads? This is the first time I've ever heard of this.

May the force be with you.

Wait so do you just not have any pads or do you remove the carbon from the pads? This is the first time I've ever heard of this.

I use carbon material cut to size not the little charcoal pieces. Use it until your water is clean then pull it out. It's cheap and to serve a purpose of clearing your water. Mine went in Sunday and comes out tomorrow! I put it right in with my filter pad but I have a tetra whisper with a basin..... Also use purigen
If you are referring to the pieces that are in the filter pads by default those will literally last like 2 days then be dead so don't worry too much. I cha and my p add very rarely anyway unless it has snails and algae on it

As far as I can tell, the only reason for the pads is to contain the carbon. I don't believe there is any other purpose. I may be mistaken.

To everyone else: Thanks for the input.

As far as I can tell, the only reason for the pads is to contain the carbon. I don't believe there is any other purpose. I may be mistaken.

To everyone else: Thanks for the input.

The pads are the cotton material for catching debre and bacteria growth. You can hypothetically use a filter with no pad but then you wouldn't catch big material
I've been looking in to cutting my own pads for a while now with no carbon but really for a tetra the carbon lasts no time so really its a matter if saving a few bucks

The pads are the cotton material for catching debre and bacteria growth. You can hypothetically use a filter with no pad but then you wouldn't catch big material
I've been looking in to cutting my own pads for a while now with no carbon but really for a tetra the carbon lasts no time so really its a matter if saving a few bucks

Good to know. Thanks.

So basically the pads are just to catch big debris? What if I'm not really worried about that? Could I just remove the pads and let my filter be used to just cycle water? My tank is heavily planted has snails and is dirted.

My club uses Carbon as needed. For clearing meds etc...

We stuff extra filter wool or media into our filters if it fits to provide more surface for BB.

Anytime filter slows we just rinse pads or floss in the bucket of used tank water or in dechlorinated tap water so the BB does not die off.

So yes pads provide surface for BB. Some filters you can stuff with filter floss or media, some you can only use a pad.

My Aqueon 20 pad is probably at least six months old. I just rinse it as needed. There is old carbon in the pad, I ignore it. The pad is there to provide surface for my BB. My tank is also heavily planted, but I still want a good amount of BB in my filter.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright cool, that's what I've been doing. Thanks for the clarification.

Back
Top Bottom