Planted tank newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, as you can see I'm new to the planted tank world. I was wondering what plants would do well in a 10 gallon tank without making it too crammed and still leaving the fish enough room to swim around. So I wanted to go the heavily planted route and my tank is well established for 3 months now and I have so far fish wise: 4 tiger barbs, 4 panda corydoras, one red claw crab, 3 neon tetras, and one oto cat. Plants I have: 2 bundles of purple waffle, one log. Also have 2 rocks one zebra and one tufa rock. And a boat. I want to do a mix of low growing plants and tall plants. Any ideas? All ideas would be appreciated and taken into account.

Java fern and anubias are great beginner plants. Although I do agree you should probably get rid of a lot of those fish. Try aquadvisor.com for advice on stocking.

All of those fish like to be in groups of at least 6, but your tank would be WAY overstocked if you had all those. You should get rid of the tiger barbs, and get more neon tetras and cories. Maybe get rid of the oto too. If not get more of them as well.

Also, red claw crabs need brackish water (half freshwater half saltwater). IT might do fine for a couple months without MARINE salt, but it will probably die eventually. And the bigger issue: red claw crabs need air! They are semi aquatic crabs that need both air and water and they need to dry off every once and a while (a few times a day). It may uproot plants too.

If you really want a crab, the only options would probably be a panther crab or Thai micro crabs. One is big and extremely aggressive and the other is so tiny you can barely see it.

Back
Top Bottom