Planted tank no substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is what I have been told, your foil looks very smooth I think refraction is more an issue with wrinkles, as I understand it with a wrinkle some light is directed sideways as opposed to down into the tank. I personally found foil was better than nothing as well, but the point that was made to me was that white was more effective than foil. BTW if anyone knows different please let me (us) know I am just passing along second hand info.
_Cheers

That is what I have been told, your foil looks very smooth I think refraction is more an issue with wrinkles, as I understand it with a wrinkle some light is directed sideways as opposed to down into the tank. I personally found foil was better than nothing as well, but the point that was made to me was that white was more effective than foil. BTW if anyone knows different please let me (us) know I am just passing along second hand info.
_Cheers

Yeah, it would be nice to get more information about this, I'm just wondering, the reflectors that they sell in LFS's those are metalic right? Aluminium is metalic also, I don't get it when you say that white reflects better, otherwise they would sell white reflectors???

Btw, Today I added a second CO2 bottle,,,

People with CO2 experience please give me some adivce....

I added the second bottle becouse I need to drop my Ph, (it's 7.5 atm, and need to get it to 7 minimum for my cardinals and better plant growth) [My LFS wants me to get rainwater to drop the Ph, but I can't get it (apartment) and otherwise she wouldn't like me anymore to sell her cardinals to me, and I have only 4 atm, poor guys.]

I have 2x2L bottles with CO2...

I never used a checkvalve, but when I attach the checkvalve (the correct way) there is barely CO2 comming through, even If I shake the bottles.... Without the valves it gives 1-2 bubbles every 1-2 seconds :B-fly:

EDIT:CO2 Problem fixed!!!! The pressure had to built up to get through the valve so It took a while now it's bubbling like 3 bubbles a second

People with CO2 experience please give me some adivce....
Ok...keep two bottles, each a week apart on the recharge cycle. Arrange them like this: bottle -> one-way valve -> T <- one-way valve <- bottle
This will allow you to keep a constant supply of CO2 in the tank. Also, pulling a bottle off won't cause a decrease in pressure, because of the one way valves.
I use yeast, water, and brown sugar, goes for about a month in one of those specially made bottles with a nipple on the top.

Blah blah foil blah blah
I know quite a few growers, and they say not to use foil, because it creates "hot spots" that burn their plants, while white surfaces reflect pretty evenly. That's why you shouldn't use foil.

Blah Blah using CO2 to drop PH blah blah
Don't use CO2 to drop PH in a tank. That's just like using PH Down/Up. Unless you know how much co2 is going into your tank, you really have no control over the PH swing. It's a lot better to have a stable non-optimal PH than a swinging PH.

Blah blah, pressure, blah blah
Yeah, I had a similar problem. I usually have to wait half a day or so for the CO2 to build up enough pressure to overcome 4-5' of height, than the 2' depth of water, since I have my CO2 dispersing at the bottom of the tank.

I need to drop my Ph, (it's 7.5 atm, and need to get it to 7 minimum for my cardinals and better plant growth)

if your ph is holding strong at 7.5, dont worry about dropping it. the whole "this fish NEEDS this ph" is completely overrated. There are maybe a few fish that absolutely need a certain ph, and thats mainly for breeding purposes. if it stays at 7.5, dont worry about it

if your ph is holding strong at 7.5, dont worry about dropping it. the whole "this fish NEEDS this ph" is completely overrated. There are maybe a few fish that absolutely need a certain ph, and thats mainly for breeding purposes. if it stays at 7.5, dont worry about it

Thanks people :p

I'm not worrying but it's my LFS that is, when I asked if they still have those kind of fish, they immediatley said Get your water ph lower!! I was like "****" 8-O

Back
Top Bottom