planted tank outdoors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glass doesn't magnify sunlight, I can understand why ya think that though.

You guys are making this way too complicated. I keep several tubs and sometimes tanks outside in the summer. I have 5 out there right now. Keep the tank is a fairly well shaded area to begin with and plant it heavily for best results. Add a UV sterilizer if you can't control the green water. Floating plants are also good at controlling green water.

UV sterilizer good idea! I would of never thought of that.

Basically kills anything free floating in your water, like ich, algae, bacteria, and probably a few bugs. Not sure how much they run, I think you can get a cheap one for under 40 bucks? Don't quote me on that though.

jetajockey said:
You guys are making this way too complicated. I keep several tubs and sometimes tanks outside in the summer. I have 5 out there right now. Keep the tank is a fairly well shaded area to begin with and plant it heavily for best results. Add a UV sterilizer if you can't control the green water. Floating plants are also good at controlling green water.

^

Bingo. That's an easy idea.

These plants i have on my shrimp tank were bought on my lfs!! The guy from the store told me to go to the back and see all the plants they had on ponds and tanks!! And they had A LOT of tanks filled with plants and even a pond so full of these plants on the photos that there could not be any fish cause there wouldn't be able to breath! And they are all without co2 and just sitting there under the direct sunlight!! Next time i go there i'll post some pics!! But the uv sterilizer and floating plants are a great idea if you dont wanna algae to take over the tank or pond!! Plus these plants are very easy to grow and with some excel and iron the leaves are spectacular, big and red with distinguishing withe stripes! I say just try it it'll be fun!! I think hahaha

Attachments

• image-3634993341.jpg
    image-3634993341.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 50
  • image-87899770.jpg
    image-87899770.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image-2244300617.jpg
    image-2244300617.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image-1054865417.jpg
    image-1054865417.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 52
I think I might try it, see how it goes naturally and if algae starts than use the UV? I found one on craigslist for $20 are they ok to buy used?

I think so but your gonna have to think in buying a new light bulb just in case and a powerhead

Back
Top Bottom